Echo Basin Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.40930°N / 122.106°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route provides a trail from Echo Basin to the ridge top and then joins the standard ridge route from Toad Creek Rd.  The Echo Lake Basin Trail is a good, maintained trail.  The connector to the top of the ridge appears to be an elk trail that has been improved a little by some brush trimming.  I highly recommend this route.

Getting There

From Santiam Junction (US 20/OR 22)head west on US 20 for 8 miles.  Turn right onto NF 055, a good gravel road.  Follow NF 055 to the Echo Basin Trailhead.  No pass required.

Route Description

Follow the Echo Basin Trail to a fork at a stream bridge.  This is the beginning of the basin loop trail.  You may take either direction.  If going counter-clockwise, follow through lots of slide alder until the trail reaches an open area.  You want to leave the trail at the second puncheon bridge.  Cross muddy grass for 100 feet or so and then angle right through a gap in the brush.  If you're in the right spot, there should be a couple of bent tree trunks to step over.  The trail then becomes better defined and heads straight uphill.  It quickly turns and climbs in a long traverse to the ridge top just east of North Peak.  From there, follow the use trail along the ridge to the Echo summit.

Essential Gear

 

External Links

Peakbagger trip report



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.