Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 37.84760°N / 119.4059°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 15, 1999
Ben Craft, George Ortiz, and myself set off to do the Eichorn Pinnacle. In a direct quote from the Sierra Classics guide, "The west side of the Eichorn Pinnacle is a thin pillar rising dramatically from the northeast side of the Cathedral Lakes. This pillar attracted Yosemite guides Mike Cohen and Gary Colliver, who in their careers established many fine routes throughout the range". The summits of the Eichorn Pinnacle and the peak of Cathedral Peak are probably no more than 200 feet from each other. George fired off the 1st offwidth pitch. Next, it was Ben's lead and he headed straight up the crack and set up the belay. I dogged my way up this fairly easy 10b crux. Now normally from this position, there is possibly 2 or 3 more pitches to the top. After Ben had reached the end of his rope, George started simul-climbing with Ben. I was left with a sub-50 meter rope that connected George and I. Soon, I was simul-climbing with the other two. This was a first for me.....simul-climbing with three people over moderate 5th class. Soon, we were on top. When we opened up the summit register: there was no paper or pen so we didn't get to sign the register. All in all, this was a great first Sierra route. Easy approach (1.5 hours), straight-forward climbing, and an easy descent. A Sierra classic.

Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Eichorn PinnacleTrip Reports