Eldorado Canyon

Eldorado Canyon

My Daughter in law and I are standing in front of the climb Yellow Spur. That is the last climb I was able to do with her husband ,my son Jimmy. We held a Celebration of Life for him in Eldorado Canyon that day. We had done that climb together about 5 days before and he was in a tragic accident that took his life two days prior. That was in June we had a spreading of his Ashes in October of that year 2001 . Up on a mountain where Snowbird ski area is . That is where he was a snow board instuctor. That year he was employee of the Year for saving a lady during spring sking who accidently fell into a high runnig water stream and he jumped into the stream and helped save her from drowning.
Ice Man Jerry Van
on Jun 15, 2007 11:26 am
Image ID: 301667

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-17 of 17
Ejnar Fjerdingstad

Ejnar Fjerdingstad - Jun 16, 2007 8:35 am - Voted 10/10

Very

sorry to hear that!

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - Jun 16, 2007 3:34 pm - Hasn't voted

Thank You Ejnar

That had to be one of the hardest days of my life . I have healed but there is always a somewhat sore spot in the heart.

Dave Daly

Dave Daly - Jun 25, 2007 4:17 pm - Voted 10/10

Your Son Is Awesome!

Jer -

Never let the memory of his smile (and that day on the Yellow Spur) escape your heart! I'm a Dad too, with a son who is just starting to lead harder. I'm so proud of him and the man he is becoming.

Cheers,
Dave

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - Jun 25, 2007 10:51 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Your Son Is Awesome!

Thank You so much .That is so good to hear that you have a son That is at that point of becoming a man . It is nice that he has a Father who cares and helps him like he does .I have wrote several stories aout him and my adventures with him.If you want I could email them to you and Deb. My email is jscritch@msn.com Good luck in your climbing

Deb

Deb - Jun 25, 2007 5:15 pm - Voted 10/10

Very Touching

I'm so sorry you and your family had that experience and that the world is missing out on Jimmy. I'm sure you "see" him everywhere.

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - Jun 25, 2007 10:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Very Touching

Thank you Deb. I know climbers and adventures have a better understanding to my loss and what it means to have that loss. He is with me always I have had many close calls and I feel so much He is my saving Angel.

Zzyzx - Jul 11, 2007 2:34 am - Voted 10/10

I'm really sorry...

Thank you for sharing that moment with us Jerry! I can't imagine how hard it must have been to loose your son. Sounds like he was a great guy and you must be very proud of him. That's awesome that you were able to share your passion for the mountains and climbing with him. Nothing can take those memories away from you...

Dragger

Dragger - Jul 15, 2007 8:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Thank you...

... for sharing this with us. Somehow there are no words that seem appropriate... I'm sure that all who knew your son treasure each moment they had with him. Let us all treasure the moments we have with those we love and care about.

Carolyn

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - Jul 17, 2007 3:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you...

Carolyn Thank You for the kind words. They are heart felt . During The Ceremony of Life for my son in Eldorado Canyon that we held for my son there,after most of what everybody had to say about there time spent with my son and their realationships with him we went for a hike up the canyon and I showed everybody climbs we had done together in our lifetime together and had some more heart felt moments together. This was unusaul type of funeral service for some of the people that was there. On the way up the canyon my neice told me she had come by some climbers and they had asked her why there were so many peopl there she told them it was a ceremony for my son they both just bowed there heads for a moment and said a silent prayer. It is that extra feeling we have between ourselves as climbers and adventures that put us on a more understanding of what we do and the chances we take. I feel very lucky to have those feelings and realationships with the people of this group.

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - Aug 31, 2007 7:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Thank you...

Please give Rob some kind words for me . Since his accident I have thought of him often I enjoy what he shares with summit. Knowing him personaly like you do . He must have a lot of energy and a fun person to climb with . Let him know he is in my healing prayers, from the Ice Man

Charles

Charles - Sep 10, 2007 4:46 am - Voted 10/10

Sorry

Sorry to read that. You must be very proud of him,
Charles

Diggler

Diggler - Sep 10, 2007 1:11 pm - Voted 10/10

I'm very sorry...

Sounds like the world lost a great person too soon. Hope you are able to keep close ties to your daughter in law.

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - Sep 10, 2007 7:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Yes I do keep close ties

Yes we both love each other very much she has since remarried and has a daughter I am Close to her new husband and their daughter also I am a very lucky person to be able to contiue that relationship.

ClaireJ

ClaireJ - Nov 24, 2008 8:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Really Moved

so, so sorry to hear about this. It's the worst hurt in the world and my sympathies to you and your loved ones.

kteichert

kteichert - Jun 10, 2010 7:16 pm - Hasn't voted

Wow

What an incredibly moving story. Sounds like a father raised his son right. No doubt he lived life to the fullest and will be eternally rewarded.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Aug 3, 2010 1:07 am - Voted 10/10

Jerry...

Another picture of yours I've looked at many times and never known quite what to say about. Everything seems to fall short, but I'll say this: had I gone through the same thing, I doubt that I could share it the way you have-- with love but without bitterness. I tip my hat to you and truly mourn for your loss. Now that I am a father myself, I hope I will never experience what you had to but pray that if I do, I will exhibit the same grace and dignity that you have here.

Ice Man Jerry Van

Ice Man Jerry Van - Aug 7, 2010 3:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Jerry...

Bob thank you for your meaningful words .The thing I do say is my son would not have let me do anything less he was a person who surrounded himself with positive people and a positive way of life I truly feel that he taught me more in life as a son than I taught him as a father. I was blessed with the time he was with me as a physical pressence. He is with me forever and yes I see you as a father with grace and dignity your children have a truly wonderful life ahead of them

Viewing: 1-17 of 17