Elendgrube Downhill

Elendgrube Downhill

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.09794°N / 12.82062°E
Additional Information Route Type: Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Medium hard ski tour
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Towards Brennkogel-Scharte
Towards Brennkogel-Scharte

The shortest, medium difficult ski tour ascent on Brennkogel is from Elendgrube, the parking place north of Hochtor saddle. As this side of the mountain is rocky, you need to traverse the whole southern slope, but you lose almost no heigth on this tour. The best time to do this tour is spring season, when the road over Hochtor is already open and when there is no big avalanche risk below the Brennkogel-Scharte.

Route Description

See full screen

Brennkogel ski slopes
Brennkogel ski slopes

You park on the road, north of the Hochtor road pass, on the altitude of ca. 2340 m. Traversing the eastern slopes of Brennkogel you ascend on skis towards the SW. Soon the slope below Brennkogel Scharte becomes steep, but in good conditions you can ascend on the notch with skis.

On the other side, you first descend a few meters, but soon you are able to start traversing the southern slopes of Brennkogel slightly upwards. You do the traversing until you reach the broad slopes below the Brennkogel's West ridge. Now it's time to go directly upwards. Again the last meters below the ridge are steep, but as the whole slope is not exposed you will have no issues with the ascent.

The western ridge and the summit cone is rocky and snow is often blowned away from the slope. Still it's common to ascend the very summit carrying skis and later skiing down between rocks. In any case there are no technical problems.

You can ski down by the ascent route, but if you have in the group a driver-victim, other members can ski down towards the south and do the whole slope to the altitude of some 1100 meters (to the Guttal Bach bridge), where the driver picks you up.

Essential Gear

Only a usual tour-skiing equipment.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.