Page Type Page Type: Trailhead
Location Lat/Lon: 36.33200°N / 81.6892°W
Additional Information County: Watauga
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4580 ft / 1396 m

Elk Knob trailhead

This is the official trailhead to the summit of Elk Knob. The trailhead is at the end of a dirt road and is marked with signs. The state is currently working on a new summit trail. The current trail is an old fire road that suffers from erosion and is steep and rocky.

Elk Knob Trailhead

Getting to the trailhead

Elk Knob is in the northern corner of North Carolina about 25 minutes north of Boone, about 1 hour south of I-81, 2.25 hours northeast of Asheville, 3.25 hours from Knoxville and 2 hours west of Winston-Salem

MSN Virtual Earth, Location and Directions

If you live near Boone, you can make it an easy, short excursion taking less than a half day. But why rush it?

Take 194 north out of Boone, go 4.3 miles. Turn left onto Meat Camp Road, go 5.6 miles ascending to Pottertown Gap. A steep climb and sharp curve will let you know you're climbing to the gap. At the top of gap, take your first right onto a dirt/gravel road. You will see a sign confirming you are entering state land. Continue and stay straight until you reach a gate. Park and hike up from there.

[img:183961:alignleft:small:Entrance from the south]

More Info...

See Dwhike's recent trip report. It provides more updated info than I can currently give.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Elk KnobTrailheads