Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.35694°N / 111.09739°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9988 ft / 3044 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Elkhorn peak sits right next to the popular high point Mount Baird. It is connected by a saddle. Elkhorn barely qualifies as a ranked summit since it only sits about 300 feet from the Baird/Elhorn saddle. The peak sits in a popular camping/hiking area but is not as often visited due to the more popular mountains that sit near it. This is worth the trip to go over to this summit from Baird to get it done. It offers really unique and incredible views of the Palisade reservoir like I have not seen before from some of the other nearby summits. The hike is worth the trip.

Getting There

From Swan Valley, you will drive towards the Palisades Dam. Once you reach it, drive 2.5 miles passed the dam until you reach the road Little Elk Creek Road. Turn left. Follow this road for another 1.5 miles (roughly). You will encounter a sign for two trails. Take the one on the right that points towards Little Elk Creek Trail. Follow this trail directly to the locations described below.

Route

The best approach recommended would be to get to the summit from the saddle that is connected between Mount Baird and Elkhorn Peak. It offers the simplest approach that does not require a long uphill traverse through lots of brush and loose rock. And you will get 2 done in a day. We were able to get to the summit of Elkhorn peak from Baird between 20-30 minutes. It does not take as long as it looks. It is very deceiving. If you go at it from this approach, simply follow the ridge and keep on the top of it. You will eventually approach a wall that looks like you won't be able to get around it but if you just go down the left of the wall, you will be able to find a route around it that takes you straight to the summit. From Baird it does not look dooable but that is not the case. Class 2-3 approach on this route.

The other approach begins from the trail. You leave the trail heading up the west slopes of Elkhorn. You will bushwhack quite a bit in the beginning. Just continue your way up route finding as you go. About half way, you will break the tree line and be out of the brush. The bushwhacking is mostly over. You will just have to deal with loose dirt and rocks. We found that it was easier to get to the top of the west ridge as we were going down. This could be a great way to make your way up to the summit. This summit is not techincal and it offers great views. Depending on which way you go up the slopes you will also face class 2-3 exposure. 

Distance from Baird Ridge: Roughly 12 miles

Distance from West Slopes: Roughly 10 miles

I say roughly because my phone died near the end so I could not get a full recording of the most accurate distance of the trail.

Red Tape

No red tape

When to Climb

Later spring, summer, and fall would be your best times to hike this peak. It would eliminate the threats of avalanche and other hazardous conditions brought upon by Idaho winters. I would recommend doing it in the summer.

Camping

Camping and parking can be found at the trailhead. It is a popular and busy area to camp so you would want to get here early. Lots of people stay the night here when they plan on floating the reservoir. Backpacking is also an option. Some spots further up the trail and ridge offer flatter areas where a camp can be made for backpacking.

External Links

https://www.idahoaclimbingguide.com/bookupdates/elkhorn-peak-9988/



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Snake River RangeMountains & Rocks