Eriste-Forcaus (normal)

Eriste-Forcaus (normal)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.66380°N / 0.44170°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: SD/F (UIAA)
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Benasque's valley, at north of Huesca. Follow to village of Eriste and continue for a bad road to the little parking of Espigantosa's fall. To the mountain hut of the Angel Orús (name of mountaineer died in mountains) or Forcaus is necessary 1,5-2h (to the summit 6-7h). Is advisable to sleep at the hut and continue next day (4h to the summit and 5h for all descent). To the hut through the serpent's path of the forest is hard for the weight of haversack but this it's no difficult.
You must reserve place in the mountain hut specially on summer.

Route Description

This is the easiest route also known as normal route or "ruta real" (route royale). It's no very difficult, it's only a long way to the top (drop: +1300 m; +600m without night in hut). From the mountain hut of Angel Orús (or Forcaus) we follow the path specified "Posets" to the "Torrente Llardaneta" (torrent) near pastures. We take a route to the Col of Eriste and we continue in left direction (indicated GR11.2). We can see in this moment the break in the mountains in the right side, it's the Canal Fonda. We turn to right leaving the G.R.-11 in a point with a signal of red paint showing "Posets". We follow the path to reach the entry of Canal Fonda (30º sloping) where we arrive in 2 h from mountain hut through pieces of rock. In the Canal Fonda the snow remain in summer. For the morning in some occasions can be useful the use of crampons; at the midday the snow is generally soft in a sunny day and you don't need crampons. After the Canal Fonda we climb a hard hill to the "shoulders" ("espalda" in the maps) for 1/2h. From the start of the shoulders we've still got 1 hour to reach the summit. This is long but easy, the harder is behind.

Essential Gear

On summer crampons and ice axe for the passage of Canal Fonda can be necessary (on some occasions) but the last years it's possible to walk out the snow. Cold wear in the summit (we're at 3375 metres).
In winter is hard (crampons, ice axe, rope).

Miscellaneous Info

Enjoy the summit. One of the best observatory of the Pyrenees (just between Aneto and Monte Perdido, it's a dream). It's a good mount to initiation for the high mountains (introduce your friends!).

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
eza

eza - Jun 24, 2003 8:01 am - Voted 10/10

Route Comment

Cascada de la Espigantosa (Parking): 42º 36' 41'' N / 000º 29' 31'' E
Angel Orús Hut: 42º 36' 27'' N / 000º 29' 46'' E
Canal Fonda (lower side): 42º 38' 26'' N / 000º 26' 28'' E

wschueller

wschueller - Aug 10, 2014 6:39 pm - Hasn't voted

july 2014 status

The 'bad' road to the trail head is perfectly passable for normal passenger vehicles if dry. No need for high clearance or 4WD. Canal Fonda is probably best approached with ice axe and possibly crampons and is definitely easier with snow on the ground. Lots of loose rock otherwise. The gully can also be completely avoided by climbing 4th glass terrain on either side.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

PosetsRoutes