Eureka Gulch

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 37.91000°N / 107.62°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

See Getting There.

Route Description

Trailhead Elevation: 12250 ft
One Way distance per my GPS:1.1 miles

Note: Some maps show a rough 4WD road that goes from Lake Emma (drained) to Sunnyside Saddle. I was not able to find this road and I don't think it exists I saw some traces of two-tracks up the slopes of Hanson Peak but they go nowhere.

From trailhead, look northwest to locate the 12800 ft Sunnyside Saddle between Point 13306 ft to the north and Bonita's ridgeline to the south. Go up the grassy slopes past an abandoned mining tram tower to reach the Sunnyside Saddle.

At the saddle, you will find a trail/two-track that probably originates somewhere in the valley of Cement Creek below Hurricane Pass. Follow the two-track up the scree/grassy slopes until you reach the end of the road at a second saddle at 13190 ft between Point 13306 ft and the summit of Hurricane Peak.

From this saddle, you can see California Gulch and the rocky east face of Hurricane. Hike up the southern/western slopes of the summit to avoid the difficulties.

Essential Gear

Hiking Boots.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.