Viewing: 1-20 of 30 « PREV 1 2 NEXT »

Ski MountaineerGeorgia

Ski Mountaineer

Kazbek (the correct name is Mkinvartsveri anyways) is not the highest peak of Georgia. It is Shkhara, 5158 m or 5068 m. In any case the highest one in Georgia.

Cheers,
Peter
Posted May 24, 2006 8:47 am

John ClimberRe: Georgia

John Climber

Thin Air,

I am awared of this issue. It is good that you give me your opinion. I understood (from my sources) that Shkara (with discussion over its height in any case) is mostly situated in Russia, therefore, the summit is in Russia. Is that true?

This list that I made goes about summits. If the summit is in Georgia I shoud correct it and change Mkinvartsveri for Shkhara. If the summit is in Russia I will leave as it is. When I did the list I had to take an objective system to choose the difficult cases (like this one) and I decided to choose for the summit criteria. Maybe you could help me with it. Thanks.
Posted May 24, 2006 3:52 pm

CoraxRe: Georgia

Corax

Hi John C!

I agree with Thin Air about the Shkhara issue. It's on the border of Russia and Georgia.

See this section on the Shkhara page for ex.
Posted May 24, 2006 4:02 pm

John ClimberRe: Georgia

John Climber

As I understood, Shkhara summit falls into Georgian territory. Which height do you estimate for it from all those data?

I will do a big research as soon as I finish my exams. Then I will find all the exact facts and figures. Anycase, I am interested in your opinion.

Thank Corax (btw, I did not go to any China expedition...you remember? Thanks!)
Posted May 24, 2006 4:19 pm

Ski MountaineerRe: Georgia

Ski Mountaineer

John,

Shkhara is officially the highest peak of Georgia. It is on the Caucasus main crest, which the border Russia-Georgia.
The official elevation is 5158 m, though on maps "Gora Shkhara" (this does mean mountain Shkhara, not necessarily highest point) is assigned as 5068 m.
There is a surveyed point of 5157.8 m on the ridge, which should be the real Shkhara main. Every other elevation would have to be proven (not speculated).

The second highest is Janga-Tau (5058 m officially, 5085 m on other maps), not Mkinvartsveri either.

But besides - good idea, the list. Some rather interest peaks/facts on there.

Cheers,
Peter

Posted May 24, 2006 6:03 pm

Mblue01Botrange

Mblue01

As you probably know the 'Botrange' is not really a mountain but more a small hill or 'higher plateau' so it will be difficult to find a real mountain-picture. You can take a look at the 'Signal de Botrange' page.
Posted May 24, 2006 10:38 am

toc40eth row, counting from above...

toc

...should read Serbia & Montenegro,
peak name Djeravica
Photo can be found over at
Prokletije Group (Djeravica is posted there as route)

Thumbs up & keep up the good work

(Edit, May 24th) now, please, just change "v" in "Servia"
into "b", so it does read "Serbia". Tnx
Posted May 24, 2006 5:55 pm

Tomek LodowyRysy - High Tatra (Poland/Slovakia)

Rysy massif culminates in 3 summits . The main, middle one is 2503 m asl high and situated on Slovak side, the north-western summit(2499.2 m asl) - the highest point of Poland lies precisely on the Polish-Slovak borderline .

Greetings from Poland

Tomek
Posted May 24, 2006 6:45 pm

John ClimberRe: Rysy - High Tatra (Poland/Slovakia)

John Climber

Tomek,
Thanks for solving my doubt. I knew something was happening with those three summits. You were clarifying my doubts. Thanks. I will correct it a.s.a.p. Greetings
Posted May 24, 2006 9:25 pm

John ClimberRe: 40eth row, counting from above...

John Climber

toc,

thanks for your corrections. Everything should be right now!
Posted May 25, 2006 11:34 am

tocRe: 40eth row, counting from above...

toc

Thanks John, sorry for nuisance (it is tongue twister, I know ;-))
Posted May 25, 2006 7:22 pm

John ClimberRe: Officially, Denmark's

John Climber

Thanks Lolli.

I knew about Faroe and about being an island, but I could not find the actual name of the mountain. Thanks.

Interesting info over Foroyar...It is Europe geographically, as far as I know.
Posted May 24, 2006 9:13 pm

spellbinderSnezka

spellbinder

Mt Snezka (Sniezka) is shared by Czech Republic and Poland
Posted Jun 13, 2006 9:46 am

rpcNice.

rpc

I think the photos showing up with a red X in your table just need a simple fix *.jpg vs. *.JPG (case sensitivity)??
Great idea for a list page.
Posted Jun 16, 2006 9:18 pm

John ClimberRe: Nice.

John Climber

rpc, thanks for your comments. BTW, the JPG instead of jpg does not help to make the red x dissapear...?!!
Posted Aug 14, 2006 10:21 pm

jckGood idea

jck

Maybe you should add links of the mountains that are in summitpost's data?
There are also some new pages as far as I know: f.e. Coma Pedrosa.
Regards
jck
Posted Jun 19, 2006 7:32 pm

CoraxIs there anyone at all

Corax

who has summited all Europe's high points?
I started to think about that issue when I saw this section on the page.
Posted Sep 6, 2006 12:29 pm

John ClimberRe: Is there anyone at all

John Climber

Indeed...Americans have their States' Highpoints...with a group of people who accept the challenge to summit all of them. I thought that we could have the same in Europe. Nothing to compare with all those high peaks of Karakorum or China, but there is a challenge for europeans too, just next door. So far I have not received any SP member who has summited all the peaks.

I would try to do a small internet-research about that topic. I think once I saw a documentair about someone who went for all europe's highpoints in one year...so there is someone out there.
Posted Sep 6, 2006 2:25 pm

mvsman

mvs

that Ginge is pretty tough!
Posted Oct 4, 2006 2:24 pm

McCannsterLiechtenstein High Point

McCannster

Did you know that Grauspitz is on SP. I noticed you didn't have a picture of it on the list.

Posted Oct 5, 2006 11:40 pm