Eye of the Skull - part 1

Eye of the Skull - part 1

Eye of the Skull Is a basalt bubble cave located on the western slope of 4,970’ Bamber Mountain approximately 2,500’ above nearby Toroda Creek in Washington, U.S. During the magma phase of the basalt bubbles rise and expand, occasionally as the magma solidifies formation chambers or caves occur. Such is the case with Eye of the Skull cave. I discovered this ‘cave’ during a helicopter flight over this area searching for wildfire ignitions from a lightning storm. I use the term cave generally as many spelunkers believe a cave is an enclosure where light does not penetrate, by that definition this is not a true cave. After discovery I organized a small party to explore the ridge and locate the ‘cave’ – this was a few years ago. I’ve lived in this area a long time and not heard anything about this formation. Upon arrival we concluded there was only two approaches to the cave. A technical climb from below (but we hadn’t brought the correct gear along) or a rappel from above. We did have the proper equipment for that strategy (see next photo). In this image L to R Hageman, my son Shanta, Lutje.
foster fanning
on Mar 2, 2010 10:02 pm
Image Type(s): Bouldering
Image ID: 601496

Comments

No comments posted yet.