First and second unsuccessful attempts on Illiniza Norte

First and second unsuccessful attempts on Illiniza Norte

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Ice Climbing, Hiking, Scenery, Panorama
Yes...sometimes the mountain say "NO, YOU CAN'T GO".

Tried the first time, got back at the Paso de La Muerte due to bad conditions on the fresh snow and a scary storm that came by.

Two weeks later tried again with Gavin (SPer Inday). Passed by Paso De La Muerte still heavy snowed, dangerous as hell...crossed all the way to the last part, a small canaleta, in terrible snow conditions, sometimes it colapsed a little bit with me and my ice tools, scary shit!

When I got there, older and slower then Gavin (he passed and summited before the group jammed the way, lucky bastard), I got stuck by a guided group doing protections for the clients, had to wait for 30-35 minutes under rock, ice and snow fall caused by them, and in the meantime the weather changed in biblic proportins. I couldn't wait more, gave up because the group was still coming down!!!

Came back under snowstorm, some lightning and wind. Bad, bad luck.

I guess I have to come back in Ecuador some other time.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Senad Rizvanovic

Senad Rizvanovic - Apr 12, 2012 4:19 pm - Voted 10/10

....

Nice pictures, i know this mountain is looking innocent but due to bad weather conditions, story is very different.

PAROFES

PAROFES - Apr 12, 2012 4:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: ....

Yep, and everyone I spoke before said to me "No problem, easy way up".

Well, with good weather conditions certainly is...hehehe

Viewing: 1-2 of 2