Viewing: 1-20 of 31
12
tioga

tioga - Jan 22, 2008 1:01 pm - Voted 10/10

I enjoyed . . .

your article and your photos. This is a great idea. I have never been to any of these areas, but they seem incredibly real through your descriptions and photos. I know I would have to sit long and hard to think of my top 5 favorite day hikes. Thanks for this great article and wonderful thoughts.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 22, 2008 6:06 pm - Hasn't voted

Many thanks.

I'm glad you enjoyed the article. It certainly took a lot of thought before I decided on my choices. I had to reject such "classics" as the Tongariro Northern Crossing in NZ for instance. Which at least illustrates just how much I relished the final 5 choices.

Cheers,

Martin

Nanuls

Nanuls - Jan 22, 2008 6:24 pm - Voted 10/10

Great

Great article Martin, one can really sense the passion you have for these hikes. Patagonia is snomwhere I've always wanted to go and this just makes it sound even more appealing. Also, it's nice to see the Glyders in there, funnily enough I'm going to be doing that route beginning of next month, just praying for some snow now.

All the best
Dan

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 22, 2008 7:22 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great

Thanks Dan. Enjoy your trip next month. Hope you get the snow. We'll expect some nice winter additions to your superb N Wales pages.

Feel free to use any of the new photos I included in the article in your own pages - IF you deem them worthy enough.

Cheers,

Martin

lisae

lisae - Jan 22, 2008 7:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Great Article!

I really enjoyed reading your article, especially since one of your favorite hikes is in the Pinnacles. I certainly haven't tired of the Pinnacles. Unlike you however, I prefer to go through the caves to using the rim trail. :)

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 22, 2008 7:26 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Great Article!

Thanks Lisae. I'll be passing through in May and will likely make yet another trip in the monument. I'll never tire of it.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jan 23, 2008 3:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Good Idea

I like the idea, Martin. You might get some blowhard questioning who you think you are to be making yourself the arbiter of the greatest hikes and places, but you've personalized this and made this about your impressions rather than about handing out some sort of list. I've thought about doing a similar piece at times myself and even did it in a way when I wrote an article about the places and experiences that awoke my passions for climbing and the mountains and changed me forever.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 23, 2008 5:08 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good Idea

Hi Bob. Thanks, as always, for the kind words.

I was VERY careful to stress that this is one man's personal opinion and not some kind of holy command to get out and do these hikes immediately. I think the closing remarks alone make this clear enough. So far, everyone had taken the article in the spirit it was intended. Let's hope this attitude continues.

All the best,

Martin

DrJonnie

DrJonnie - Jan 27, 2008 5:34 am - Voted 10/10

Best day trips

Hi Martin,
I enjoyed your story and was pleased to see you rated the Glyders up there with more exotic spots. I think my best day without graded climbing moves including the Glyders was back in the 70's when our club was doing the "14 peaks". We walked up Llewedd from Pen Y Pass, over Y Wyddfa, down into lanberis via Crib Goch north ridge and grabbed a swift beer at the Vaynol before toiling up those endless slate screes to Marchlyn Mawr. Then it was over Foel Goch, Y Garn and the Glyders before descending Tryfan for an overnight stay at Williams farm in Ogwen. A very hard day but with enough energy left to do part of the Carneddau the day after.
cheers Johnnie

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 29, 2008 1:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Best day trips

Many thanks Johnnie. Don't forget that, for many folk outside the UK, the Glyders might appear as exotic as any other. Always been a special place for me, exotic or not.

Martin

verdeleone

verdeleone - Jan 27, 2008 11:16 am - Voted 10/10

Thanks

for an interesting read. I went to high school in Hollister so the Pinnacles hold many fond memories. I haven't been there in years, but now think that i must go back at first opportunity.
Torres del Paine is somewhere I must see before I die.
Thanks again.
V

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 29, 2008 1:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Thanks

No - thank you.

Yes, you must go back to the Pinnacles. Get in your car and leave immediately!

Curious place Hollister. Such a nice location etc but there's not one single decent place to stay.

Anyway, many thanks again for reading the article and for your kind words.

Cheers,

Martin

mattnoland

mattnoland - Jan 27, 2008 5:41 pm - Voted 10/10

well done

Thanks for taking the time to post this for everyone. As usual my wife and I enjoyed reading the article. My four month old daughter has now been read all of Kipling's "Just So Stories," "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" by Mercer Meyer, your trip report on your scare in the Anapurna wilderness and this article. Keep writing! We appreciate it here in Halifax.
Matt

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 29, 2008 1:18 am - Hasn't voted

Re: well done

Well Matt, what can I say? Who put your daughter to sleep faster? Me or Rudyard? My money's on me.

Glad you all enjoyed my little article. It's a pleasure to do it under any circumstance but doubly so when I get such generous comments.

All the best from Lotus Land.

Martin

Saintgrizzly

Saintgrizzly - Jan 28, 2008 2:14 pm - Voted 10/10

A most absorbing read!

You've done a superb subjective rating of five day hikes. Here's a subjective rating of my own: This is one of the very best pages on SP! I love how you were able to relate the thoughts and emotions these places bring to you—and, in addition, can only say that your descriptive abilities match the photos. Thanks so very much for taking what must have been quite a bit of time to put this down.

I enjoyed this. A lot.

Vernon

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 29, 2008 1:25 am - Hasn't voted

Re: A most absorbing read!

Hi Vernon. Thanks you for your usual kind and generous comments.

It's always a pleasure to do something like this when folk appreciate it. The time invested is nothing if I can tell the reader something useful and bring a little worthwhile diversion into his or her day.

Many thanks again.

Cheers,

Martin

RobSC

RobSC - Jan 28, 2008 10:57 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Article

It makes one reminisce. Nice picture of Nepal too. The rightmost full peak is Cholatse showing its west face. Feel free to attach it to the Cholatse page. It's a great shot.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 29, 2008 1:32 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Article

Thanks Rob.

I've been labouring under the illusion for a while that the rightmost peak was Ama Dablam. It does look very different from this aspect compared to the classic view from Namche. However, a quick map check shows that you're quite right.

Of course, if I'd been thinking clearly, I'd have thought originally of "Cho La" and added "tse" - as in the mountain above the pass. Doh....

I've now corrected the descriptions attaching to this image.

Thanks again,

Martin

camerona91

camerona91 - Jan 30, 2008 1:19 am - Voted 10/10

VI

Nice to see Vancouver Island represented. I think I'll have to try and find some time to do the Castlecrag loop this summer. I have only been in that area in winter, in bad weather. Sounds like a really nice day though (especially with the right weather!).

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Jan 30, 2008 12:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: VI

Thanks Cameron. Yes, it's a great trip. The right weather is, in fact, essential in making it a day trip. You need to have no navigation issues if you're to complete it in a single push. 14 Hours is required for the whole thing - although someone like Lindsay or Quagger would probably sprint it in considerably less than 10.

Viewing: 1-20 of 31
12
Return to 'Five Best Dayhikes of a Lifetime' main page