Flat Rock Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.25450°N / 77.4136°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page. This route is at the end of the Flat Rock Trail and traverses the bluffs. It is only about a quarter mile additional distance.

Route Description


From the cliffs head east along the well worn climbers path and start to descend. The path is pretty discernable so you'll have no problem seeing where you're going. The trail then cuts back into the cliffs and you'll come down some ledges eventually ending up in the colluvium filled slopes below Flat Rock. Once you get here don't forget to check out the cool little caves that go back in under the cliffs. I don't know how far they go in because I chickened out and it was pretty tight.

To continue head more northwest on your ascent back to Flat Rock. There is a very nice, steep ledge system that rides up underneath the top cliff band. It is a little bit airy but very fun. Your only really tough move comes at the top of this as you'll have to pull yourself up over the cliff edge. Probably a hard Class 3 or low Class 4 move. From here, enjoy the view.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking boots, food/water, trekking poles, and a camera.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Flat RockRoutes