Viewing: 21-40 of 48 « PREV 1 2 3 NEXT »

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Joseph, your vote is appreciated. I need to add more pics to this page and a map of some kind other than Topozone. Maybe I'll try my hand at drawing my own map like some of the Europeans do.
Posted Dec 21, 2004 9:06 am

mtwashingtonmonroeUntitled Comment

mtwashingtonmonroe

Great job Dean! Neat mountain and I wish you a very Merry Christmas!

-Britt
Posted Dec 20, 2004 11:11 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Britt and a Merry Christmas to you also. May 2005 be another great year too.
Posted Dec 21, 2004 9:07 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you.
Posted Dec 21, 2004 9:06 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you.
Posted Dec 21, 2004 9:07 am

PellucidWombatUntitled Comment

PellucidWombat

This page is very well done. You put in a lot of good background information.

The prominence links were great - it made for a very interesting read.

I'm glad you liked Ophir - its one of my favorite mountain towns for just the reasons you described :-)
Posted Dec 21, 2004 10:34 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you for all the comments you made and the vote. Say, you wouldn't happen to have any pics of Ophir would you? I can't believe I didn't think to take any pics of that town. Also, I remember the mileage to Ophir as about 5 miles, is that right?

It might be 7 miles. Again, thanks and have a Merry Christmas.
Posted Dec 21, 2004 11:32 am

PellucidWombatUntitled Comment

PellucidWombat

I have a number of photos of the town and some areas on the west side of the Oquirrhr Mountains. They are more artistic and of smaller details rather than photos of a larger area w/ a lot of context. Still, if you want to see them, I can e-mail them to you.

As for the distance to Ophir - I'm not sure, but you could certainly mapquest it, or if you want I could do a rough figure w/ the Topo! computer program.

I'm glad you've been enjoying your trips to Utah. Have a Merry Christmas!
Posted Dec 21, 2004 6:03 pm

Don NelsenUntitled Comment

Don Nelsen

Interesting read, Dean, and well done with good informational links. Thanks for putting this one up.

I wonder why the land owners are so sensitive about trespassing in such a remote area - makes one wonder what they might be up to out there!

Don
Posted Dec 21, 2004 7:58 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Don for your nice remarks. This area isn't really remote since it is close to a large population center just to the east and too many people trespassing has made them ready to have enforcement take place. The locals (owners) do a lot of hunting on the land as well as raise cattle but fortunately the BLM does own some of the land which makes the route up Mt. Lewiston possible. Bob B. can tell you the whole story sometime and I've posted a trip report that has some of the

flavor of our experience. Merry Christmas to you.
Posted Dec 21, 2004 11:46 pm

brentaUntitled Comment

brenta

Thanks for posting this well-written page, which is both informative and entertaining. Merry Christmas and a Prominent New Year!
Posted Dec 21, 2004 11:25 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Brenta for taking the time to vote and to provide some positive helps. I took your info to heart and made the corrections. It is amazing that I proof read the text and still missed those errors. Evidently on the "landowners" part on the route description, I had erased half a sentence without knowing it. Again, thanks for the heads up.
Posted Dec 21, 2004 11:49 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you.
Posted Dec 21, 2004 11:43 pm

Johan HeersinkUntitled Comment

Johan Heersink

Very thorough and complete page! Interesting that you rank mountains by prominence rather than by absolute summit elevation. For climbing it prominence is the much more important fact to know.
Posted Jan 5, 2005 3:42 am

DeanUntitled Comment

Thank you Tom. Flat Top is an ultra prominence peak. One of 57 in the lower 48. Bob Bolton did 8 of these in 8 successive days, several with me but many solo or with Adam Helman, the guy who monitors and runs the cohp web site.

Bob set a record in doing 8 in 8 days, no one else has even come close to such a thing. Update: Dennis Poulin did 10 in 10 days which included Flat Top. The 8 Bob did:

Flat Top

Mt. Nebo

Ibapah Pk

Deseret Pk

Mt. Timpanogos

No. Schell (Nv)

Wheeler Pk (Nv)

Star Pk (Nv)
Posted Mar 17, 2005 11:59 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Once again, your vote is appreciated, thank you.
Posted Apr 6, 2005 8:27 pm

DeanUntitled Comment

Thanks Grunt, glad you took the time to check out the page and vote.
Posted Jun 25, 2005 7:59 pm

Dow WilliamsUntitled Comment

Dow Williams

yeah, you won't find me in that part of Utah Dean...too much like what I have here...got to be warmer and less snow than that, cheers...
Posted Nov 11, 2005 2:12 pm

hgrapidWhat is the mountain...

hgrapid

...at the North edge of the Oquirth range? I am referring to the one that stands high above I-80 West going towards the Great Salt Lake?
Posted May 1, 2006 10:01 pm

DeanRe: What is the mountain...

If it has antennas on it, it is Kessler Peak. If not, probably one called Farnsworth.
Posted May 1, 2006 10:33 pm