Following the snow track up Hochschlegel...and a bit of a bitter note to an otherwise perfect day

Following the snow track up Hochschlegel...and a bit of a bitter note to an otherwise perfect day

You can see how deep the snow is here...it was further up on this trail, quite near to the summit, that I had a bit of a bitter note to this otherwise spectacular fairy-tale winter day in the Lattengebirge. The top of Hochschlegel is regularly used as a starting point for paragliders. Shortly before the top of the mountain, I spotted two of them, getting ready for take-off, and one of them had spread his whole paraglider right across this trail (even though there was by far enough other terrain to put himself on!!!), expecting other people very naturally to plod around it in the thigh-deep snow, and if that isn't possible, oh well then, tough luck...as if that weren't enough, he did everything he could to show me how pissed off he was that I had the insolence to be using this trail why he was preparing to sail off, assuming right from the start that I was going to be some sort of an idiot and trod over his ropes, and when I ever so gently lifted the end of the tile of his paraglider just to give myself a bit of a better stance while trying to get around it, he started insulting me and saying: My God, what people there are - just incredible! Then I asked him if, when one sees a plodding trail through deep snow, it is really necessary to block it in such a way. His reply was: "Yes, it is! This here is a starting point for paragliding!" Then his colleague started getting at me, saying: "Hey, we live here, yes? You're only visiting, so behave!" In any case, when I reported this incident at the Predigtstuhlbahnen, the man who I reported to told me many thanks, and he will mention this at the next assembly of the board - hang- and paragliders are not allowed to act this way. This is often the shadowed side of certain areas - people tend to think that just because it's their home and they live there, that they can do just as they please, even disregarding certain safety laws... I'm telling you this just to point out, that if you're on a winter trail and paragliders or other people act like that and claim what they think is their "possession right", don't let them! They have no right to block trails, particularly when there is deep snow, and one should not just let this happen.
EricChu
on Feb 25, 2011 7:51 am
Image ID: 701088

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 25, 2011 11:28 am - Voted 10/10

There are...

selfish and inconsiderate people everywhere. I'm glad you reported this to the authorities.
I run into a different kind of selfishness in climbing areas. Some people bring their radios and CD players to the crags and turn up the volume, just as if everybody has to enjoy their kind of crappy music.

EricChu

EricChu - Feb 25, 2011 1:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: There are...

Yes, I can just imagine...although this is now really something that should be banned! After all, climbing is an affair of utmost concentration, and being bombarded with that sort of cacophony (to think that some people actually call that "music"!) is something that takes away alertness - especially if it's not your own radio it's coming out of! - and can therefore get dangerous!

Vid Pogachnik

Vid Pogachnik - Feb 25, 2011 2:46 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: There are...

I noticed, Mark, that you put on every page a chapter about nise consideration. I really appreciate that. Noise pollution is one of the worst I know. Radios, helicopters, off-road cars, etc.
And, Eric, your paragliders story is fun also. I wonder if you could cook something spicy for them. But you were alone.

Cheers friends!
Vid

Marcsoltan

Marcsoltan - Feb 25, 2011 5:55 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: There are...

Thank you, Vid.

Marc

EricChu

EricChu - Feb 25, 2011 6:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: There are...

Thanks from me too, Vid!
Cheers,
Eric

gabr1

gabr1 - Jul 24, 2011 1:13 pm - Voted 10/10

people should...

... learn to be extra careful when they go out in nature, just like you behave in any place that deserves respect or quiet.
Unfortunately some think that being outdoors means doing what you want, while others, think that as their activity involves more "cool gear" they have more rights than a hiker...
You did well to report them.
Gabriele

EricChu

EricChu - Jul 24, 2011 6:30 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: people should...

Thanks a lot Gabriele - I think you brought it right to the point - people think that just because they have more gear, they are more important and have more rights! A psychological phenomenon, and a pretty sad one, that one meets up with very often, also outside of mountaineering (take street traffic, for instance - oh my God!!)...
Cheers,
Eric

Viewing: 1-7 of 7