Forest Road 38

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 33.67700°N / 108.576°W
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: A Road Walk
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description

From the turnoff on NM Highway 12, Eagle Peak is 18 miles distant. Start driving along Forest Road 233 towards Eagle Peak. The road is in good condition for the most part, but there is extensive washboarding in places. The road travels along the side of a cliff for a short distance. After about 13 miles, you will reach a road junction between Forest Roads 38 and 233. This road junction is not shown on the forest map. Eagle Peak is five miles distant up Forest Road 38. Forest Road 233 heads left for parts unknown. This is a good place to start hiking if you’re inclined to reach the top under your own power. Otherwise, keep on driving.

Take the right fork and start heading up Forest Road 38. You’ll be able to see the lookout tower atop Eagle Peak through the trees every now and then. About a mile or so from the top, there is a gate. During the fire season, the gate is open and you should be able to drive all the way to the top. If you’re here in the cooler months, the gate will probably be locked and you’ll have to walk from here. Either way, push on to the summit, where you can enjoy the views.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.