Forsee Creek

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.12886°N / 116.92612°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Moderate Hike/3,900 ft elevation gain to Ridge
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Forsee Creek trail is one of the less frequently use trails in the San Gorgonio Wilderness. It splits a half mile up, one trail leads to a beautiful spot, John's Meadow, which also leads up to Manzanita Flats and the trail junction on the San Bernadino Peak Divide Trail. The other trail goes up to join the same trail, but with much more elevation gain and less mileage. The John's Meadow trail is a easy hike. Where as the Jackstraw Trail, as Jackstraw Springs is passed along the way, is comparable to Vivian Creek trail on the opposite side of the mountain. For those who have hiked Vivian, you know what I mean...This Trail leads up to Anderson and Shields Peak, as well as the San Bernadino Peak Divide that one can take all the way to San G herself. This is a beautiful part of the San Gorgonio Wilderness that is amazingly empty most of the time.

Getting There

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA- Redlands to Highway 38 North. Through Mentone, up to the Mill Creek Ranger Station. Wilderness permits are required. Wilderness Parking passes are required, $5 dollars. You may ask them for more info, or continue up 38 through Angelus Oaks, and about 10 miles after Angelus oaks look for Jenks Lake road. Right on Jenks Lake, and half mile later look for the sign that says "Forsee Creek trailhead" and make a right.
Follow a dirt road back a little ways to the trailhead.

Route Description-Mileage

Forsee Creek Trailhead to Jackstraw Springs 4
Forsee CreekTrail

Forsee Creek Trailhead to John's Meadow 3.9
Jackstraw Springs to Trail Fork Springs 2.6
Forsee Creek Trailhead to Anderson Peak 7.1
Anderson Peak to Shields Peak 1.9
John's Meadow to Manzanita Springs 1.6


Unless there's snow, these are all great hiking options. If winter conditions are present, bring crampons, ice axe, snowshoes, and ask the ranger station's thought's on what to bring. And In winter, I believe this area is even more beautiful.

Gear

Summer and dry conditions- Good hiking boots, treking poles, water filter (ask the ranger station on water conditions), the Ten Essentials, food, hat, and sunglasses.
Winter Conditions- Crampons, snowshoes, ice axe, instep crampons even can be used. Make a choice at the trailhead after asking the Ranger what conditions are like.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.