Fortuna Loop

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 32.84690°N / 117.0594°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Start at the Jackson drive trailhead.

Route Description


Fortuna Loop: From the Jackson Drive trailhead, start North toward the obvious River canyon ahead. The River crossing may be too difficult during particularly bad downpours, but is usually no problem to cross. Continue up the trail to a fork and head to the right. You will see a sign pointing the way to North Fortuna, but an optional way is to take a more exhilirating trip down Suycott Wash and up the steep ascent to South Fortuna. Follow the trail down into a gully and turn right (south) at a "Y".The trail then leads to a saddle and North Fortuna can be climbed from here. Total distance from trailhead to the summit is approximately 3.2 miles. Proceed down the North Side of the Mountain to another fork and turn right. This will lead you to Oak Canyon. Continue through Oak Canyon until you reach the Old Mission Dam, and join the Junipero Serra Trail. This trail will lead you to the Visitor Center. Take the Visitor Center Loop for a mile and you will be back at the Jackson Drive trailhead. Total distance for the loop: 9.6 miles with 2,600 feet of elevation gain/loss.

Essential Gear


Good Hiking shoes or tennis shoes will do.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.