From Breginj fo Kobariski Stol

From Breginj fo Kobariski Stol

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.27911°N / 13.45276°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Summit

Kobariski Stol is the highest summit in a long ridge (about 20 km) from Kobarid to Italian side in western Slovenia.

Getting There

Breginj

To Breginj we come from main road Kobarid – Robic – Cividale. Kobarid is in a valley of Soca, Robic (on Slovenian side) and Cividale (region center on Italian side) are in valley of Natisone River (Nadiza).
Breginj is largest village in Breginjski kot. BREGINJSKI KOT is a valley in the westernmost part of Slovenia, between the villages of Staro selo and Breginj, by the Italian border. It meanders under the Stol Mountain on the north and the Mija Mountain on the south.

Some more information about neighborhood also on:

KOBARID info

CIVIDALE Info

Route Description

Alone

Starting point is in Breginj. The path is marked and also covered with direction tables on crossroads /also possibility to other summits in Kobariski Stol ridge/.
The firs part is marked on forest road (beech trees), maybe 200m over Breginj we start climbing through wood. On our path is also chapel of St. Margaret, small church, hidden in the wood.

Chapel of St. Margaret


A few minutes from church (altitude about 900 m) we will be surprised: it is very sharp cut between wood and open slope. And interesting: beech trees are to the end in the woods. Usually between an open slope and forest with beech trees also forest with coniferous trees come through, but this isn't a case on this slope.
So from forest to the summit we have very nice path with nice views to east, south and west (on some places also steep, but not dangerous)

Essential Gear

Up to the hill

Good shoes, sticks

Cycling

Cycling

On Kobariski Stol we can also cycling. Starting point: Sedlo or Breginj.

Camping

Natisone River

Camp NADIZA

Natisone River is warm in the summer, so in this time of Year You can combine mountaineering with others activities.

Other

Kontova house

This region is most western part of Slovenia. From Breginj away 5km is a bridge (Most na Nadizi), where is also border pass (for now only for local population, not open for tourists). In neighborhood is also spring of Natisone River (Nadiza).
Breginj (270 inhabitants, altitude 550m o.s.l.) was one of villages, these were much damaged in earthquake 1976. The government help people to built new houses, so only for Museum they left an old house (Kotova hisa), so we can see what this village seems to be before:
The closely heaped buildings of old Breginj stood as a gem of the unique Beneška Slovenija architecture. It had an oval layout with concentric lanes and drainage channels (ťlandroneŤ). For the most part the houses were of stone, with wooden external walkways ("gank"), stairways, balconies ("linde") on wooden or stone pillars under large projecting roofs and "peasant" frescoes on the front. The farmsteads were composed of groups of structures linked together and with curious interlinking passageways. After the 1976 earthquake Breginj was completely rebuilt. Its pre-earthquake spirit has been carefully stored away in the one preserved such group of structures, which has now been arranged as a museum.

Map of path

Path


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.