From Llyn Ogwen (south)

From Llyn Ogwen (south)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 53.12576°N / 3.99353°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A route with a fast and steep ascent following a nice walk on the largest uninhabited highland area in England and Wales.

Getting There

Park near Llyn Ogwen on A5 (see Getting There section of Carnedd Llewewlyn)

Route Description

The route starts from near Llyn Ogwen (Tal y Llyn Ogwen farm) where a footpath leads you directly up northwards. The start is really steep and with excellent views of Ogwen valley and Tryfan in the background. At about 600 meters the track leads to Ffynnon Lloer reservoir (660 m) and then left (west) up to Pen yr Ole Wen. The trail remains to be steep with some sections of easy scrambling (see the route's primary image), until you reach the summit of Pen yr Ole Wen with exceptional views of Northwestern Wales and the Isle of Anglesey. From there, an obvious trail leads northwards with passing over Carnedd Dafydd (with 1044 metres being the second highest peak in the area) and over the ridge of Ysgolion Duon until the summit of Carnedd Llewelyn. The trail stays above 900 m / 3000 ft from Pen yr Ole Wen until Carnedd Llewelyn.

Essential Gear

In the summer season normal hiking gear + map & compass or GPS is fine. Keep in mind that in Welsh mountains the weather can change rapidly and take some warmer & waterproof clothes.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.