From the Keyhole

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.26560°N / 105.6205°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike/Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 2+
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach




The rising sun lighting up the ridge that leads from the keyhole to the summit (far right) of Storm Peak. Taken from the boulderfield.



Making a trip to Storm Peak follows the same route as one would take up the Keyhole Route of Long's until you reach the Boulderfield. The easiest route is to start from Estes Park, CO and take route 7 south for about 8 miles to the Longs Peak Trailhead. On the way you will pass the Twin Sisters Trailhead and just before the Longs Peak trailhead you will see a sign and a pull off showing "Longs Peak view" (When traveling from the south, a similar sign for Mount Meeker views will be a indication that the trail head is near). At the trailhead there is a ranger's station where you can get reliable information on the conditions of the trail and Storm Peak. There is a 3-D map in the station that displays the route quite well. (In the winter months the ranger station is maintained sporadically so call ahead if you need information on the route). At the start of the trailhead there is a register. After filling it out you will start on six miles plus route to storm peak on a well-maintained path. The first mile and a half takes you through Goblin's Forest. Once clearing treeline the next miles leads through alpine tundra leading up to the crossroads with trails leading to Chasm lake and Mount Meeker at the 2.5 mile marker (In the winter the wind swept tundra trail is easy to follow because there are bright orange construction zone type flags marking the path.) After the crossroads you will hike across the east slopes of Mount Lady Washington to reach a col where the trail meets another intersection with the North Long's Peak Trail. From here, follow the "no shortcuts" signs to the boulder field and on to the Keyhole.

(taken from the "Getting There" section on the main page.)

Route Description


This route is typically climbed after an ascent of Longs Peak, but may be used regardless. It is a very fun scramble on anything from class 2+ terrain to 4th class (maybe low 5th class) terrain along the ridge that connects the Keyhole to the summit of Storm Peak.

If you wish to stay on easier terrain, stay lower on the easten slopes to avoid obvious obstacles on the crest of the ridge.
If you are looking for a fun and more challenging option, gain the top of the ridge as soon as possible once leaving the Keyhole and choose the "best" route for the kind of experience you are looking for.

Essential Gear


Nothing more than your essential hiking gear.
There is no great exposure on this route so ropes are not needed unless you do any climbing on the west side of the ridge. You may want to have ropes there...but they are not essential to gain the summit from the keyhole.

Watch the weather.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.