From the Northeast

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 43.86980°N / 103.7439°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Flower en routeWild iris on lower slopes

There are several ways to reach the summit of Bear Mountain, the 3rd highest peak in South Dakota, including simply driving your truck right up to the top. For many of us, however, a top-10 state highpoint is worthy of more than 4 wheels; it’s best achieved on two feet. (It’s noteworthy to say here that this route would make a fine fat tire bike ride for those so inclined.)

We visited this peak via this route on a chilly Memorial Day weekend and saw not a soul. The lower forest is dense and lush. The upper forest has suffered quite a bit of beetle kill. The views from the top are very enjoyable, and Harney Peak, of course, steals the show! Following forest serviced roads, the route-finding is mostly straightforward, but do pay attention at junctions to ensure you make the right turns on the return trip.

Roundtrip Distance: 4.4 miles
Elevation Gain: Approximately 1,000 feet
YDS Class: 1
Time allowance: 1 hour 45 minutes at a moderate pace
Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #238 Black Hills South

Getting There

Bear Mountain is approximately 11 road miles from Custer, South Dakota. Not all of these roads are marked, so please be prepared with a sense of adventure to find this “trailhead.”

From Hwy 385 northbound out of Custer…

• Head west/northwest on CR 297, passing the Boy Scout camp, for several miles to FS 299.
• Turn left at the fork in the road onto FS 299 (Bobcat Road).
• Watch for a left/west turn (unmarked at the time of my visit!) between two pine trees. (Yeah, I know, these are total country directions). This is FS 1C (or FS 299 1C spur road). The turn onto FS 1C is just passed FS 477, which WAS marked at the time of my visit.
• We parked not far up FS 1C due to fallen trees blocking the road. See the attached .GPX file for details.

Getting There (1)Where we parked
Getting There (2)Road is smooth but blocked by downed timber
Ant hill en routeDon't step in one of these

Route Description

Signage intact!Signage intact!
Wild irisWild iris

• From the junction of FS 299 and FS 1C, continue roughly one mile on mostly level terrain on a two-track ATV road / trail to another junction. Note a signpost (hopefully, if it’s still there).
• Turn left (south) on FS 1J. This runs mostly seamlessly into FS 1K, which runs directly to the summit, which is marked by a lookout tower. From this junction (FS 1J / FS 1K) the route begins to climb more steeply, occasionally gently switchbacking.
• One final tug on a straightaway brings you onto the summit plateau, joining a more defined road to the top.
• Return the way you came, using caution to stay the correct way at all junctions.

Lower Route (1)Along the lower route
Lower Route (2)Lower route 2-track


Middle to Upper Route


Mid route (1)
Mid route (2)
Mid route (3)
Upper mid-route


Summit Views!


Summit views (1)
Summit views (2)
Summit views (3)
Summit views (4)

Essential Gear

At the Summit!


At the summit (1)
At the summit (2)
At the summit (3)
At the summit (4)
At the summit (5)


Descent (2)Lush forest on descent
Descent (1)On the descent

• Outerwear appropriate to the season
• Map, compass & GPS
• Trails Illustrated #238 Black Hills South for road navigation


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.