From Tincup Pass Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.67688°N / 106.43778°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

Directions to the beginning of Tincup Pass Rd in St. Elmo:

From the town of Buena Vista drive 8 miles south on Route 285 to a place known as Nathrop and then turn west onto Route 162. Drive this road 16 miles to the ghost town of St. Elmo (the first 10 miles are paved and the rest is a well graded dirt road). In St. Elmo, go thru “Main Street”, turn right and cross the bridge to the north side of Chalk Creek. Then make an immediate left and continue to the west end of town.

Route Description

All distances are per my GPS.








Place
Elevation
Distance
St. Elmo
10000 ft
zero miles
Alpine Tunnel Trail
11080 ft
3.65 miles
Saddle
11940 ft
1.8 miles
Summit
12885 ft
1.40 miles
Total
-
6.85 miles



In St. Elmo, head west and hike or drive (4WD) Tincup Pass Road. The lower parts of the road go through an aspen forest.
Tincup Pass Road
Tincup Pass Road

After 3.65 miles, you will see signs for a trail (Trail 1439, the northern end of Alpine Tunnel Trail) on the south side of the road. Get off of the road and start hiking this trail. You will first go through a beautiful meadow.
Meadow
Meadow

The trail then goes into a pine forest, makes many switchbacks and goes up a slope.
Trail in Forest
Forest

As you go above tree-line, Peak 12885 ft comes to view.
East Face
Peak 12885 ft

The trail goes through a 11940 ft saddle at the base of the summit of Peak 12885 ft. You can choose your own way up the grassy eastern slopes of Peak 12885 ft.
East Face
Peak 12885 ft

Essential Gear

Hiking equipment.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.