From Varco della Colla to Pizzo S.Michele

From Varco della Colla to Pizzo S.Michele

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.79090°N / 14.87440°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Giffoni Valle Piana take the road that reaches Serino through the Passo della Colla. Leave the car in the square, a little before the pass.

Route Description

This is a magnificent ridge-path. It requires good resistance and experience. Probably it is the most beautiful excursion of the Monti Picentini

The path is long about 12 Kms. The climb is about 900 meters.

From the Passo della Colla take the crest, partially rocky, and cross it, with many up and down, without leaving it. Always hold yourself toward north.
After having overcome the great rock from visible from the square, it is reached the Varco di Sua Eccellenza (1221 m)
Here the path climbs, on the right of the ridge, it passes in a wood, and returns on the crest at the quota 1385.
Following the crest, the peaks of the Monti Tre Cappelle are crossed (1385 - 1472 - 1505 mt)
Going down from the last top, it is arrived to a steep passage, that precedes the Varco dell'Orso (1350 mt)

Reached the pass, the opposite slope is gone up again, always along the crest, and laboriously a rocky wall is reached.
Rocky wall is wandered on the right. Return on the crest through steep slant that require attention.

From here you reach the peak (1607 ms - 6 hs)

From the peak you go down toward the peak of Tuppo dell'Uovo (1525 ms) in direction northwest, along the crest. From the peak of the Tuppo dell'Uovo you go down, through steep but elementary passages, until it is come to an impracticable jump. Turn to the left, toward south, to go down steep slant and a channel, through which the path is reached to half coast.

Turn to the left (toward west). With many up and down, following the crest holding first on the south slope, then on that north, reach the long slope that, through the quota 1506, goes to the church of St. Michael and the peak.


Essential Gear

Normal gear for a one-day hike
Take the water with you.
No water along the path!!


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.