From Varengeh Rood Village

From Varengeh Rood Village

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.14230°N / 51.43240°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike+scramble at top
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up+Class III at top
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See "Getting There".

Route Description


All distances are per my GPS.

Place..................Distance (Km)...............Elevation (m)

VR Village...........Zero................................2450
Stream Jct..........4.8...................................2650
Shelter................4.0...................................3300
Saddle…............1.2...................................3524
Kharsarak…..…0.8…………..….....……3706


Total.....................10.8 Km



From Varengeh Rood Village (2450 m) hike a trail that soon crosses to the western/northern banks of the Varengeh Rood River. After 4.8 Km, you will reach a large grassy area where a stream joins the Varengeh Rood River from the left (north) (2650 m). This is the stream that goes in the valley between the Kharsarak and Sorkhab Peaks. You must turn left and follow the trail that goes along the banks of this stream (Beware that if you miss this stream and attempt to go up the second stream that goes between Kharsarak and Sootak the Great Peaks, you will encounter difficult rocky terrain). After 4 Km, you will reach a metal shack (3300 m) built for the wild life protection officers but often used by mountain climbers. You can spend the night in the shack or camp at a nice stream-side spot.

Hike above the shelter to the 3524 m saddle where the north slopes of Kharsarak will come into full view. Follow any path up the slopes. The last 100 or so meters will require some Class III scrambling.

Essential Gear


In summer, nothing more than good hiking boots.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

KharsarakRoutes