Frosty's Park

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.79030°N / 104.96440°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Trail from Frosty's Park is fairly level until you get to the base of the peak. There is no trail to the summit.
Runs-down-fast Mountain Stream Crossing

Getting There

From Colorado Springs take Old Stage/Gold Camp Road approximately 12.5 miles to 379 (close to the Penrose-Rosemont Reservoir). Turn north on 379 and travel on the 4WD road to Frosty Park for another 1.5 miles. This is a large clearing on the right with no apparent signs other than the tracks of many mud rides. Travel another quarter mile to a pull off. There are two trails starting here and a sign announcing that you are at the top of Captain Jacks a well know multi-use trail leading in to Colorado Springs. Credit to Shanricky for some of this information.

Part of 379 is severely degraded. If you choose to park before this section it adds a mile each way to the hike.

Route Description

First pull out your Pikes Peak Atlas by Robert Ormes and Robert Houdek. From Frosty's Park at 10,500 feet: Drive or hike 200 yards north of the park until you find the trail head. There is a sign announcing that you at the the top of Captain Jack's a multi-use trail which leads to Colorado Springs. There are two trails departing from the trail head. Facing North the trail you want is to the left, Trail 701. Take this fairly level trail two miles to the base of the peak on the south side, it will be obvious. If you find it there is a solitary rock that looks like something from Stonehenge, go toward that and find the sandy field in front of it. It makes for a good spot to keep your bearings as you climb and is a good spot to shoot for on the descent.

At this point you can simply head straight for the summit a 600 foot easy scramble. Or you can try and find an easy natural trail. If you look at the peak there is a broken cliff band tha stretched from west to east. Try and hit just inside the most westerly spot on the band. once past it there is a natural trail that goes all the way to the summit. (see photo). If you can't find it, search for it on your descent.

Runs-down-fast Mountain South summit route


Essential Gear

Regular hiking gear appropriate to the season.

External Links

Lists of John page for Runs-down-fast Mountain

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Sep 3, 2010 10:28 am - Hasn't voted

Map Attached

Hey, scorpeo. I attached a route map to this Frosty's Park Route Page. You may find it beneficial to embed the map in the route page content. Cheers, Sarah

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.