Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Aug 13, 2008 10:01 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Send me a note

Done. For now.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Jul 22, 2008 11:57 am - Voted 10/10

Good...

I'm glad you adopted this page, Arthur; I had been thinking of asking Joe about doing so myself.

I just spent three days in the northern Gallatins, climbing several peaks, and I should have pages up for them over the next two or three days. I saw your note about welcoming information on that part of the range, and I'd be glad to add any input I can that might be helpful. Also, feel free to peruse my pages for any information you might think helps the main page. The short of it-- the northern section isn't as wild as the Yellowstone section is and sees a lot more human traffic, but it is easily accessible and quite rugged, with numerous waterfalls and lakes and good scrambles. The mountains are a dark volcanic rock that gives a brooding appearance in many places.

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Jul 22, 2008 12:57 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good...

Excellent, I'll look forward to your new pages!

bigsky801

bigsky801 - Mar 19, 2009 12:12 pm - Voted 10/10

Garnet...

"Garnet Peak offers several trails to its summit. There is a fire tower on top because of its great views of the surrounding country. Unfortunately, the tower is closed to the public." The forest service lookout tower is actually "rented" out nightly through the Gallatin USFS for something around $20 a night year-round, available to anyone. Stayed there in this last August, some great views of the Spanish Peaks, and northern Gallatins... only issue is the access for 4-wheelers goes all the way to the cabin. Also have heard there can be great skiing from the cabin down to the Gallatin Canyon.
-Mike

bjmckenna - Mar 4, 2010 4:45 pm - Voted 10/10

Access

Arthur,
I notice theres almost no mention of access to the Hyalite area from the east. On a map it appears as if Dry Creek Road runs very close to the southern edge of the canyon and Hyalite peak. Any trails for this area that you know of?

Great work by the way

Brian

Arthur Digbee

Arthur Digbee - Mar 4, 2010 4:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Access

Sorry, can't help you there. Bob Sihler would probably know.

Let me know of any issues and I'll start to build an access section.

jscottcc - Oct 31, 2016 12:12 am - Hasn't voted

Palisade Mountain

I've added a page for Palisade Mountain, if you want to link to it. Thanks.

http://www.summitpost.org/palisade-mountain/986541

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Gallatin Range' main page