Galletgrat

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.46990°N / 7.73560°E
Additional Information Route Type: Snow/Ice Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: D
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Stay over night at the Fründen hut (2562 m). Descent via normal route.

Route Description


From the Fründen hut cross the Fründenglacier and reach the ridge that borders the west side of this glacier. Fixed ropes
lead to the ridge that heads south and is named Galletgrat. Follow the ridge without difficulty. At 3300 m a tower blocks your
way, that can be left on your left by climbing above the couloir with the help of fixed artificial items until you reach the back of
the tower.

A wide snow ridge leads to the east ridge at point 3430m. Now begins one of the most scenic snow or ice ridges of the Bernese Oberland. Keep well inside the cornice!. This part can be easy (snow) or quite difficult (ice). Ask the guardian of Fründen hut about the condition. The chance of having ice is greater in September than in July.

6 hours or more to the Doldenhorn from the Fründen hut.

J. Gallet climbed this ridge first on 19th July 1899 with two local guides.

Essential Gear


Rope, one axe, crampons

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.