Garratt/Martin Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.14420°N / 106.5591°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Introduction

This is the easiest route to the top of Twining Peak. The route consists of an enjoyable, but fairly short hike over alpine tundra. As this hike starts at Independence Pass, access is about as simple and easy as it gets…as long as Colorado Highway 82 is open over the Pass. Twining Peak offers a commanding view for those who make the effort to hike to its summit.

4.04 miles round trip
1,500 feet vertical gain


Route Description

Drive to the top of Independence Pass on Highway 82. Park your vehicle in the parking area to the south of the road.

Locate the small pond that lies just north of the road. You must first get around this pond. The easiest way to do this is to go around the east side. After getting past the pond, hike north northwest and around the broad shoulder that extends to the southwest off of Twining’s curving south ridge. After rounding this shoulder, hike north towards Twining. After traversing the west slopes of Twining’s south ridge, the south slope of Twining will lie before you. Hike up this slope. This slope eventually narrows to a mild ridge. Continue a short way along this ridge (class 2) to Twining’s summit.

Essential Gear

Reasonable footwear
Good weather is a must as this entire route is above timberline.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.