Geritol Wall, 5.9-5.11

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 30.25500°N / 97.794°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the Spyglass (or Taco Deli) entrance to the Greenbelt, the Geritol Wall is the second crag one reaches. Although it has just four routes, Geritol Wall is one of five crags clustered in the New Wall area; those crags are New Wall, the Terrace, Great Wall, Geritol Wall, and Random Wall.

Geritol has routes from easy to hard; officially, the easiest line is 5.9, which does not qualify as easy to most fair-minded people, but that line has variations from 5.5 to 5.7. 
 
At this wall is also 5.10+ Cedar Fever, which many consider to be one of the best Greenbelt 5.10 routes.

Getting There

Geritol Wall-- Tree at Base
Geritol Wall-- Tree at Base

The closest access point is the trailhead at the intersection of Spyglass Drive and Barton Skyway. There are various ways to get here; Google Maps is your friend for this.

From the trailhead, hike downhill and then turn right (upstream) when you reach the main multi-use trail. It takes 10-15 minutes to hike from the car to the wall, which appears on the right shortly after you pass through an opening in a fence. A use trail leads a few yards to the base of the crag. Note that this will be the second use trail after the fence, the first goes to Random Wall.

Routes

From left to right:

  • Sunshine Boys, 5.11
  • Rock and Roll High School, 5.11
  • Cedar Fever, 5/10+
  • Prism, 5.9 (5-5-5.11a)-- To get anything like the published 5.9, you have to stick to the bolt line and avoid the very tempting huge ledges to the right. Using those ledges brings it to more like 5.7 or 5.8. Staying well right puts you on a 5.5 variation, which can go on trad gear if you want to place gear in chossy limestone. On the face above the anchors is another bolt, and this is a 5.11a extension leading past the extra bolt to another set of anchors. A 40m rope is necessary for this one.
Geritol Wall-- Cedar Fever, 5.10+
Geritol Wall-- Cedar Fever, 5.10+
Geritol Wall-- Prism, 5.9
Geritol Wall-- Prism, 5.9

Red Tape

Nothing special; follow posted regulations.

When to Climb

All year, though this area bakes in the summer sun. Shade doesn't come on until late in the day.

Camping

None.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Barton Creek GreenbeltMountains & Rocks