Giant Sequoias and Bear Encounters

Giant Sequoias and Bear Encounters

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Hiking

Gentle Giants ....

I have lost my heart to those Giant Sequoia trees.

I hiked one day in september 2008 through the Sequoia groves in Sequoia NP and I was enthralled by the cinamom - coloured tree bark - sometimes marked by wildfires - shining and shimmering in the sunlight.
I was touched by the little seeds, only a part of a fingernail, able to build the most massive trees in the world.
I was astonished by the archaic look of their green branches.
I was overwhelmed by their grandeur, towering high above the other treetops.
I was impressed by their huge outline and by their monumentality even when they had fallen down to the ground by their own weight after 2000 years or even more - showing their flame - shaped roots.

It was a sort of love affair and I missed those trees as soon as I had left the park.

What is left are the images taken with the camera and the images in my memory.


.... And Bear Encounters

We had then the same day that encounter with a bear mother strolling around with her two cubs. She was near General Sherman tree in a rather crowded part of the SNP and she was ignoring all those people perfectly. The only bit when she started to get nervous about all those exciting tourists was when she crossed the trail and waited for the cubs to come along. She eyed us malevolently and quickly disappeared with her offspring in the dark woods.

What made this day a real wilderness day was another bear (a male, I think) wandering lonely in a more remote part of the Giant Forest Section of SNP and crossing our trail. He was a brown coloured one (the mother was black) and he too ignored us and our excited whispers. When he had passed by and had a sufficient security distance he sat down on his back, scratched his belly and looked up to us in a sort of challenging way. Pity that that happened too far away from us for a good camera shot.

I hope you enjoy this little album. For those who already visited the park the images shall bring back memories. For those who don´t know this place the images might be a stimulation for a future visit.




Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
imontop

imontop - Mar 24, 2009 10:28 pm - Voted 10/10

Great album!

Awesome! Loved it!

selinunte01

selinunte01 - Mar 25, 2009 7:09 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Great album!

You´re welcome. Thanks for voting.
Michael

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.