Glacier Peak & Mt. Pilchuck from Puget Sound (Sea Level) Round Trip in Single Push

Glacier Peak & Mt. Pilchuck from Puget Sound (Sea Level) Round Trip in Single Push

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 48.12339°N / 121.1184°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jul 25, 2020
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer

 GLACIER PEAK & MT. PILCHUCK FROM PUGET SOUND (SEA LEVEL) ROUND TRIP IN SINGLE PUSH

As the "location" description states, this was a "single push", all human powered, sea-to-GP-to-Pilchuck-to-sea, 27 hrs and 44 min, beating my goal of 28 hrs.  I reached the Glacier Peak summit (10,541 ft.) from sea (Puget Sound) level in 11 hrs and 7 minutes (my objective was 12 hrs, so happy to have smashed that), starting at 10PM on Fri, 7/25/2020 from a point on the water a few miles west of I-5 and Marysville, after a 60 mile combination paved and unpaved bicycle rides via Barlow Pass, then heading out on foot from the North Sauk River TH (Trail Head).  My time from the TH to the summit was 6 hrs 49 min, and that includes the windy/cold 14 min transition to some different gear (but still minimal/light) and a concentrated downing of food at a lower/base camp on the White Chuck Glacier a bit off from the beaten path because of the big rock to sit on, so it was worth the extra travel time.  I did have an unexpected physical problem during the bicycle ride that caused a cumulative delay for me that was timed as over 12 minutes, so without that snafu my sea to summit time would have been sub-11 hours.  Round trip from the TH to summit was 13 hrs 24 min, including both that 1st 14 min trans and a second 16 minute one on the way back, and also enjoyed were 9 amazing minutes on the summit.  Glacier Gap (high camp) to the summit was 2 hrs 2 min (1 hr 20 min back down). which included the time to put on Kahtoola light crampons (not their Microspikes, which I did use also but only on the lower glaciers, etc.).  So travel time was sub 2 hrs.  I did a bit of running on the river trail on the way out, but not on the way back because it would have compromised the sizable amount of work I still needed to do after returning to the TH.  This was a supported trip (small but experienced crew: Aaron and Erik for on foot; Jim, Mary, and wife Debbie for on bicycle), including my multi-talented international guide and Mt. Everest summit guide-accomplished, Aaron Mainer,  who I've worked with on these projects over a period of 13 years, and I met up with at the White Chuck Glacier transition point.  He expertly paced me from there to the summit.  Even when I lead on the exposed lower rib scree stretch, he monitored me closely (not too fast avoiding redline, but not too slow either).  Pacing is important, but even more so is the safety aspect.  On ult-high endurance endeavors my wife appreciates that I have a skilled guide to climb with who knows how to maximize safety (as well as speed and fun all at the same time).

Back at the TH, I bicycled back down to the Mountain Loop Biway, then 1,000 ft back up to Barlow Pass at 2,000 ft. (tough), then back down again to the 1,000 ft level before starting up the Mt. Pilchuck road.  Anyone who has been there knows how bad the 2,000 ft ascent road up is, but on an off road bicycle you can wind your way through the potholes making it manageable (and exciting on the way down).  TH is at 3,000 ft, and then hiked the remaining 2,300 ft to the fire lookout (5,341 ft).  Summit-to-summit was 12 hrs 12 min.  Sub 12 would have been nice but let me tell you that after almost 24 hrs on the move, one does what they can.  The difference was details, not so much effort.  It was at about 9:30 PM and there was a party going on in an around the fire lookout, including people putting up decorations inside.  This was troubling to me both because I don't know if taking over the structure is allowed, especially during a pandemic (...but whatever...), and also because I was tired and just wanted to enjoy the bit of emotional peace and quiet I was expecting to have, plus solitude except for Aaron, who hiked out by himself and then drove (caught up) to the TH in order to hike up with me and make sure I was safe coming down the bouldery/hazardous upper half of the trail when coming down in the dark fairly fast.  I took a deep breath and held it as I darted through the door, touched the center post, and popped back out as quickly as I could.  People surely wondered why I was wearing a helmet, but I didn't care that they had no idea what I'd done before getting there.  After the wild night ride back down to the hwy passing cars along the way, and then the final ride back to the start, the total time was 27 hrs and 44 min.

Note that because the captions I put on the photos are not displaying, I'll explain that the photos of approach areas: i.e. from and to White Pass, the PCT intersectin with the switchbacks up frpm the river, were taken during one of my four recon. trips.  I couldn't take photos of those locations the day of my summit because it was still dark coming up to the PCT, and then dim dawn light in fog at White Pass.  Anyone who thinks that I'm just an in-and-out peak bagger doesn't realized how much time I spend on these locations, fully enjoying them and their awe-inspiring beauty, as part of my planning and preparation..

Rough estimate is 134 miles cycling (1/4 unpaved) with gross 8,271 ft. climbing (per Google Maps), and 43 miles hiking with net 10,800+ ft elevation gain, but a gross of roughly and conservatively 11,500-12,000 ft climbing (small and big rolls throughout).  So upwards of 20,000 ft gross climbing total.

My choice of gear/clothes is purpose-driven more than style.  It's not ideally photogenic, but so be it.  I save stylish for while on the bike.

So I finally finished all 5 WA volcanos, round trip single-push from sea level, with extra peaks included for additional challenge and novelty.

Before this I did Columbia River (Kalama/Woodlind) to Mt. Adams/St. Helens summits single push and back loop, in 2018, taking 37 hours.

Shuksan/Baker from Puget Sound (Bellingham) in 33.5 hrs made it onto the front page of the Sunday Bellingham Herald with a big picture, but they long ago purged all of their old stories because the parent company wanted them to.  I begged them to bring it back, and they did, but then it disappeared again.  Same with Tacoma News Tribune (top 10 adventures of the year article). 

And before that in 2008 was Puget Sound/Rainier Summit/Puget Sound in 19 hrs 57 min.  Like all the other things, including video from NWCN, etc., has all disappeared.  So much for documentation on the internet (frustrating!)  But here is an important remaining reference to me on this site.  Someone gave me credit:https://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/54/mt-rainier-wa

Of course there's a whole lot more to this story, including my bicycle background, age, motivation, etc., but I'll keep it here as a trip report.

-Randall Nordfors, Woodinville WA.  Washington native.  I also go by "Randy" in some circles.

Gear Notes: Went light. Short pants, Kahtoola microspikes and Kahtoola lightweight crampons. Poles, and light boots with gaitors, minimal hydration pack. No ax or helmet. Knew from experience on GP that it was an okay choice of gear on a perfect day (which it was). Approach Notes: West of Marysville at salt water level, by bicycle (paved and dirt roads) to North Sauk River TH, then standard route from south.



Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Matt Miller

Matt Miller - Aug 6, 2020 1:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Super impressive!

Great effort and display of ultra endurance at high altitude coming from sea level!

fromsealevelbaby

fromsealevelbaby - Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Super impressive!

I appreciate your kind remarks, Matt. I normally don't promote myself much so it's nice to see that people are viewing my report.

Noah (Oregon)

Noah (Oregon) - Aug 8, 2020 5:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice Work!

I can't even imagine how hard that was. Oof. I once rode my bicycle from Portland to Timberline Lodge and then tried to climb Mt. Hood, but I was so exhausted (lack of sleep is my kryptonite) that I had to pull the plug somewhere above Palmer. A total fail on my part. Your trip is ten times harder and you pulled it off! How fast do you think you could do it unsupported? Or is that even possible, realistically?

fromsealevelbaby

fromsealevelbaby - Aug 10, 2020 9:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Work!

Thank you, Noah. That's a haul from Portland, and Timberline is at 6,000 ft, so you did a lot of work to get there before climbing. I'll say that it takes a lot practice to get used to climbing fast after cycling. As for your unsupported question, consider also that there is self-supported, which includes caching. But fully unsupported?, there's a lot of gear including lights, a lot of water and food, clothes, and different bicycles, so I'd say if a person went super simple and carried what they only absolutely had to have, everywhere, I'd guess a few hours more hours (many factors and abilities-dependent). There would be compromises, inconveniences, slower movement and extra energy expenditure of course, but on the other hand maybe it would be more fluid. I understand the appeal, but there are several reasons it's not for me unless on a much smaller scale trip.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4