Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Matt Miller

Matt Miller - Aug 6, 2020 1:24 pm - Hasn't voted

Super impressive!

Great effort and display of ultra endurance at high altitude coming from sea level!

fromsealevelbaby

fromsealevelbaby - Aug 10, 2020 10:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Super impressive!

I appreciate your kind remarks, Matt. I normally don't promote myself much so it's nice to see that people are viewing my report.

Noah (Oregon)

Noah (Oregon) - Aug 8, 2020 5:01 pm - Hasn't voted

Nice Work!

I can't even imagine how hard that was. Oof. I once rode my bicycle from Portland to Timberline Lodge and then tried to climb Mt. Hood, but I was so exhausted (lack of sleep is my kryptonite) that I had to pull the plug somewhere above Palmer. A total fail on my part. Your trip is ten times harder and you pulled it off! How fast do you think you could do it unsupported? Or is that even possible, realistically?

fromsealevelbaby

fromsealevelbaby - Aug 10, 2020 9:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Work!

Thank you, Noah. That's a haul from Portland, and Timberline is at 6,000 ft, so you did a lot of work to get there before climbing. I'll say that it takes a lot practice to get used to climbing fast after cycling. As for your unsupported question, consider also that there is self-supported, which includes caching. But fully unsupported?, there's a lot of gear including lights, a lot of water and food, clothes, and different bicycles, so I'd say if a person went super simple and carried what they only absolutely had to have, everywhere, I'd guess a few hours more hours (many factors and abilities-dependent). There would be compromises, inconveniences, slower movement and extra energy expenditure of course, but on the other hand maybe it would be more fluid. I understand the appeal, but there are several reasons it's not for me unless on a much smaller scale trip.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Glacier Peak & Mt. Pilchuck from Puget Sound (Sea Level) Round Trip in Single Push' main page