glacier route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 6.49417°N / 72.2975°W
Additional Information Route Type: Basic Snow/glacier Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The approach is quite simple. From Cabañas de Kanwara, it's necesary to take a trailhead to the base camp of the Ritacubas. It's takes like three o four hours to get to camp, which has an altitude of 4500 meters aprox. At this point, you spend the night in order to get up early the next day and reach the summit as early as posible

Route Description


From the base camp, the glacier is very close, just like an hour on a morrene in good conditions. in my opinnion is better to take an edge located at the left of the base camp that takes you to the glacier upper than the route direct from the base camp. At this point, the glacier gear is advisable to be weared. The route on the glacier is pretty simple, starting with a long walk on the snow, avoiding a few little cracks. if the weather conditions are good, you may be able to see the Ritacuba Negro at the left and after a few minutes, the summit of the Rutacuba Blanco will appear. the first part of the route is on a edge that takes you to the point where the Ritacuba Negro diverges from the "Blanco". From this moment, the idea is to walk a little bit to the right, watching all the time the "negro" on your left; there are a couple of big but visible cracks that you can ridge without any risk. the last part is very easy , finishing with a short wall of snow before the summit. i think this is the only point where is advisable to make an station in order to assure your partner. the entire route takes about four hours from base camp to the summit.

Essential Gear


the essential gear to this route is the basic gear for snow/glacier climb (crampons, normal axe, arnesses, rope).
Nevertheless, is important to walk troughtout the glacier with the rope for security.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.