Green Mountain Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 35.30300°N / 82.928°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Strenuous
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

There is nothing easy about the steep trek to the summit of Mount Hardy from its base. The Green Mountain Trail route from Sunburst Rec. Area is a grueling base –to-summit trek that gains 4,387 ft. in 5.5 miles. Some hikers may want to think about making this trip an overnighter because of the extremely steep terrain.

Getting There

Park at Sunburst Recreation Area located ten miles north of the Blue Ridge Parkway at Beech Gap on NC 215 to access the Green Mountain Trail.

Route Description

The Green Mountain Trail at Sunburst is at 1,733 ft. Follow the extremely steep Green Mountain Trail for 5 miles. At mile 5 you will reach the junction with the Mountains to Sea Trail. Turn left on the MST and follow the trail 100 meters to the spur trail that leads to the summit of Mount Hardy (6,120 ft.). The spur trail to the summit is approximately 800 meters long.

Essential Gear

Sturdy hiking boots are a must on this trek.
A water filtration system or other means of purifying water
lite breathable clothing in the late spring or summer months is a must.
raingear is always essential

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

edouet - Oct 24, 2016 5:12 pm - Hasn't voted

Updates 10/23/2016

The Sunburst parking lot is located around El. 3,200'; the elevation gain is "only" 3,500' on the way up, and 600' on the way back. The trail is extremely steep though on the first hour, starting from Sunburst, and provides little grip, especially in autumn with half-frozen ground and a thick layer of dead leaves. Bushwacking necessary due to growing vegetation. I hiked it on 10/23/2016.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.