Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 68.13171°N / 149.44542°W
Additional Information County: North Slope
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Elevation: 6100 ft / 1859 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Green Mountain is located a half mile east of the Dalton Highway at Atigun Pass in the Alaskan Brooks Range - approximately 108.7 miles north of the Arctic Circle. It is a short but fun climb along the North West ridge. The route is prone to high winds, cornice formation along the northern edge, but has little avalanche danger. It is one of the highest peaks in the area and offers a fantastic view of both the Chandalar Shelf and the Atigun River valley. Absolute temperatures in the pass are generally higher than in Coldfoot (the nearest town), but the pass is windy and wind chill on the mountain can and will send temperatures plummeting even in good weather.

Latitude=68.12621°, Longitude=-149.46234°

Getting There

The Brooks range is remote, but can be accessed by the Chandalar Shelf airstrip or by driving the Dalton Highway, 325 miles north of Fairbanks. The only town within reach is Coldfoot, a 60 mile drive to the south of Atigun Pass. Coldfoot can provide fuel and affordable food year round as well as the only access to a phone within 300 miles of Atigun Pass.

Route

The route follows the obvious North-West Ridge from a remote weather sensing platform near the road straight up to the summit. Thanks to the route's proximity to the road, snowshoes are optional for the approach. Most snow is hardpack and crampons are an absolute necessity. There are several sections of steep (60 degree plus) snow and one short section of vertical snow and mixed climbing. There are obvious cornices on the northern side, but these are easily avoidable. In all the route should take no longer than six hours depending on experience. There is also the possibility to extend this climb with a traverse along the Southern ridge leading to a second unnamed peak. The views are fantastic, the climb is a blast, and if you're in the area the price is definitely right (very short approach!). Depending on the season, some serious cold weather protection is necessary due to the latitude and the wind conditions. In early spring, 35+ mph winds can easily throw wind chill down below -30.

Red Tape

None.

When to Climb

Not Winter.

Camping

There are compost toilets down below Chandalar Shelf and pull off camping areas can be had anywhere along the entire length of the Dalton.

External Links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brooks_Range

http://coldfootcamp.com/

http://alaskaexpresscarrental.com/
- if flying into Anchorage, I can't recommend this company enough. They have the best off season rental prices I have ever seen and are very friendly, accommodating, and have absolutely fantastic customer service.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Brooks RangeMountains & Rocks