Grizzly Peak Loop Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.27000°N / 122.6175°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Easy
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow Interstate 5 South until exit 14, take a right onto this exit. From here take a left onto Highway 66 for about 3/4 of a mile and then turn left again onto Dead Indian Memorial Highway. follow this highway for just under 7 miles and then turn left onto Shale City Road. You will follow Shale City Road for about 3 miles and then turn left onto a gravel road labeled 38-2E-9.2. Follow this road for just under a mile until it forks. When you reach the fork in the road continue straight for about 1 more mile until you reach the parking lot.

Route Description


From the parking lot follow the trail for about 1.2 miles and you will see a sign directing you to the summit. From there it is only 0.3 more miles to the summit. Really nothing to write home about here as there is no view from the summit!! Continue onward on the loop trail for views of Medford and in just under a mile you will be able to see Wagner Butte. Continue onward for about 3/4 of a mile following the loop trail until you reach the best viewpoint in my opinion which affords views of Ashland, Emigrant Lake, Pilot Rock and Mount Shasta.

Essential Gear


Daypack with water and a couple of snacks should suffice.

For the allergy sufferer, I would recommend some allergy medicine due to all of the wildflowers.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.