Haider Alm

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.75810°N / 10.48180°E
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Italy
Take the Brenner motorway (A22) which you leave at Bozen (Bolzano) south. Take S38 (Vinschgauer Staatsstrasse) northwards towards Meran (Merano). The road follows the Etsch (Adige) Valley into Vinschgau (Val Venosta). Follow the road westwardsuntil you reach Tschengls (Sengles). (Here S38 goes on towards Europe's highest road pass, Stilfser Joch (Passo dello Stelvio)). Instead follow S40 northwards until you reach St. Valendin auf der Haide (S. Valentino alla Muta).

From Austria
Take Inntalautobahn (Motorway A12) westward from Innsbruck to Landeck. At Landeck turn onto road 180 which winds its way upwards the upper Inn valley towards Nauders. Between Nauders and Reschen (Résia) you cross the border and are directly on the shore of Reschensee (Lago di Résia). Go onwards until St. Valendin auf der Haide (S. Valentino alla Muta).

From Switzerland
Take motorway A3 from Zürich or E43 from Bregenz southwards in the direction of Chur. Shortly after the motorways meet turn off onto road 28, direction Davos. Behind Davos at Susch the road splits (27 / 28). You can take either roads - the southern one (28) leads you over Ofenpass (Passo dal Fuorn) into Vinschgau (there take SS40 northwards to St Valentin), the northern one (27) goes to the swiss-austrian border near Pfunds where you turn southwards again on 180 and head for Nauders, Reschen and St Valentin.

From St. Valentin take the cable car to Haider Alm, where the actual ascent starts.

Route Description


Altitude gain: 800m
Duration: 1h 45min
Difficulty: Hike
Trailhead: Haider Alm above Haider See

To tell the truth - this route is no beauty. the first half of the ascent route follows a dirt road below the ski lifts (look at the picture). The second half however rewards you with great views of Rechensee and the surrounding mountains.

From Haider Alm follow the sign "Seebödenspitze" which leads you to a very steep dirt road. This westward running road supports the maintenance of the various ski lifts so that it ends at thr topmost one. From there head for a small saddle to the left of Seebödenspitze (the summit can be seen all the way). The rail winds steeply upwards through meadows.

In the saddle still keep to the left. The actual ascent is done the "back way" from the west. You lose some altitude before the final ascent to the summit starts along the southwestern ridge. The ridge is rather wide, therefore the comparison to a hilltop. On top is a stainless steel summit cross with summit book.

Essential Gear


Just normal hiking gear is neccessary. The climb isn't even very long so you might even do it without fresh water supply. The cable car station at Haider Alm provides you with all nourishments you might need.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.