Hall Mtn Tr 540 via Johns Creek Rd 500

Hall Mtn Tr 540 via Johns Creek Rd 500

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 48.80660°N / 117.255°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From Ione, WA, drive north on State Highway 31 north through Metaline Falls, WA. Go another 2 miles on Hwy 31, then turn right (east) at a signed junction that points you to the north end of Sullivan Lake. Go 4 miles, past the Sullivan Lake Campground area on Forest Road 22 for 3 more miles, then go right (south) on Johns Creek Road 500. Drive uphill 7-1/2 miles to the Trailhead on the NE slope of Hall Mountain. The trailhead has room for only 5 vehicles or so.

NOTE: Johns Creek Road 500 is closed to motorized traffic most of the year, and is usually open only from July 1st to August 14th. Check with the Sullivan Lake Ranger District Office to make sure (12641 Sullivan Lake Road, Metaline Falls, WA 99153; telephone (509) 446-7500).

Route Description


From the trailhead, hike southwards 3/4 mile to the ridge where the Grassy Top Trail 533 branches off to the east. To get to Hall Mountain, go right (west) 0.1 mile to get to the intersection of the Noisy Creek Trail 588 (coming up from the south) and the Hall Mountain Trail 540. Head 1.8 miles uphill towards the west through open meadows (with fantastic views of Sullivan Lake, Molybdenite Mountain and the Pend Oreille River Valley) to the summit of Hall Mountain.

Essential Gear


Bring your own water. There is a spring with a pipe sticking out of it 1/4 mile up from the trailhead, but in dry years it may be unreliable.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.