Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.20280°N / 23.32170°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8087 ft / 2465 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview




Haramijata (also known as Hajduta) (literally "The Outlaw") is a rocky peak in the Damga region of North-Western Rila. Its sheer slopes dominate the skyline in the beautiful Seven Lakes glacial cirque and it is often considered a symbol of the area.

In terms of geology Haramijata is a typical glacial arete - a ridge carved by two glaciers. Rila was glaciated during the Pleistocene and as a result it exhibits lots of glacial landforms, including the unique amphitheater of the Seven Lakes cirque.

The easiest route to the summit is by the grassy East slope. The only thing that might slow you down there is the huge amount of blueberries.

The West face of Haramijata drops steeply almost to the shores of the longest lake in the cirque, Bliznaka ("The Twin"). There are numerous routes on this 150-meter high wall that are good for trad or alpine climbing but this region is rarely visited by climbers. Rockfalls are not uncommon.

Getting There


The best starting point for hikes in this part of Rila is the town of Sapareva Banja. You can go even further up the mountain on the road to Panichishte, a small summer resort that offers many options for accomodation. From there the hike to the Seven Lakes cirque takes about 3-4 hours on a dirt road. For a couple of bucks you can have a ride on a jeep directly to the new "Rila lakes" hut, or if you prefer you can ride a horse on the caravan that supplies the huts. At any rate, it will be a good adventure!

Red Tape


No permits or summit fees are required.

Haramijata is located in the Rila National Park, so there are special rules regarding environment and wildlife.
Visit http://www.rilanationalpark.org/en/index.phtml for more information.

This area can be extremely crowded in the middle of August by members of a certain group of people called "The White Brotherhood". They are generally quite friendly and they never leave any waste behind. You can watch their rituals or even take part in them if you get up early enough. For further information you can visit their website: http://www.bratstvoto.net/vehadi/index_en.html


You might be asked to pay for parking if you leave your car in front of some hotel or holiday house but there should be enough free space away from these.

When To Climb


Haramijata is usually climbed during the summer season.
A winter ascent requires solid mountaineering skills in working with ice axe and crampons and knowledge of avalanche safety.

Camping


There are numerous huts in the area where you can sleep cheaply.
Camping is allowed only on specified locations (usually around the huts).

"Rila Lakes" hut
-altitude - 2150 m
-135 beds
Contacts:
048/ 986 796
0888 / 463 526

"Seven Lakes" hut
-situated on the shore of Ribnoto Ezero ("Fish lake")
-altitude - 2196 m
-92 beds
Contacts:
048 / 88-89-09
0888 / 50-32-35
0722 / 2-74-07

"Ivan Vazov" hut
-altitude - 2300 m
-98 beds
Contacts:
048 / 81-55-98 (20-22 PM)
0889 / 55-34-38

"Pionerska" hut
-altitude - 1520 m
-100 beds
Contacts:
048 / 98-61-62

"Skakavica" hut
-altitude - 1876 m
-100 beds
Contacts:
048 / 86-20-50

Mountain Conditions


Weather conditions and forecast for Dupnica:

http://weather.digsys.bg/ch/index.pl%3Fplace=166&action=real&lang=_eng.html

You can call the huts ("Seven Lakes" or "Rila Lakes") and ask for current conditions but I doubt anyone speaks English there.

Climate


Average temperature in January
-Sapareva Banja: -1,6° C
-The Seven Lakes cirque: -7,5° C
-average temperature gradient: 0,32° C/100m

Average temperature in July
-Sapareva Banja: 20,1° C
-The Seven Lakes cirque: 8,5° C
-average temperature gradient: 0,65° C/100m

Average annual temperature gradient: 0,53° C/100m

Average number of days with snow cover (per year)
-Sapareva Banja: 90
-The Seven Lakes cirque: 250



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

RilaMountains & Rocks