Harvard & Columbia 8/7/10

Harvard & Columbia 8/7/10

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Bouldering, Hiking, Wildlife, Flora, Topo/Diagram, Informational, Scenery, Water

When NOAA says 70% chance of rain, just start earlier

I planned to start at 2 am but couldn't sleep, so I left the Frenchman Creek trailhead a bit earlier at 1:45 am. Spent 20 minutes backtracking to find the trail where it had been washed out by a torrential slurry. Route-finding on the tundra in the dark was a challenge as the trail was non-existent and I couldn't see the ridge. Fought my way through the willows and located the fun class-3 rib, which I followed to the summit ridge. Reached the prickly summit of Harvard at 5:30, still before sunrise. It was too cold to loiter so I started on the traverse at 5:45. An incredibly loose but thankfully shallow gully yielded entrance to the boulder-field at 12900'. After some boulder-hopping I contoured to Columbia's northwest ridge and climbed the class-3/4 rock to summit at 8:15. Started the descent at 8:30. My tired legs enjoyed much talus on the way down to the trail. I returned to the trailhead at 10:30. My goal was 10 hours, so I was pretty happy with 8:45.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
cftbq

cftbq - Aug 9, 2010 1:42 pm - Hasn't voted

fabulous photos

You made great time; thanks for posting this.

metal4lyf

metal4lyf - Aug 9, 2010 4:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: fabulous photos

Thanks for looking!

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.