Hassandar canyon

Hassandar canyon

Page Type Page Type: Canyon
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Sport Climbing, Bouldering, Ice Climbing, Big Wall
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ice climbing activity in Hassandar canyon in the summer is what distinguishes this beautiful canyon from other areas near Tehran. It is located 5km to the north-east of the village of Fasham. The canyon is very avalanche prone. The largest avalanches fall down in an area surrounded by rock walls with little exposure to the sun. The thickness of ice/snow in this place in late winter or early spring is around 15-20 meters. This is the place where people can do ice climbing in the summer. The interesting thing is that you only need to drive for half an hour from north-east of Tehran to get to the Canyon, and from where you park your car it takes you about 15 minutes to get to the ice wall.
HassandarHassandar canyon

Rocky mountainsHassandar ice field and waterfall (1)

snow & waterfallHassandar ice cave

Ice cave entranceHassandar ice cave

Ice caveHassandar ice cave

The ice wallHassandar ice wall

CrevasseCrevasse

Ice against rockIce against rock

SarakchalSarakchal

Looking north from the snow fieldThis part of the canyon in the normal years is filled with ice/snow

Unfortunately, in 2010 because of low precipitation and high temperature the snow fields are much smaller than those in the normal years.

waterfall (1)Waterfall (1)

Another branchOn the way towards waterfall (2)

3 tiny waterfallsOn the way towards waterfall (2)

In the upper part of the canyon there are 2 small creeks. Along the path of each creek there is a nice waterfall [waterfall (1)&(2)]. In the lower part of the canyon the creeks join together to create Hassandar creek which joins the jajrood river.
waterfall (2)Waterfall (2)


The elevation of the lower section of the canyon varies from 2150m (at the bottom) to 2400m (at waterfall 2).

Getting There

To get to Hassandar Canyon you need to take the Lashgarak road, and go to Fasham. From Fasham square take the road to your right and go toward Zagoon. After about 5km you can see the canyon to your right.

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Redwic

Redwic - Aug 27, 2010 12:52 am - Hasn't voted

This is a canyon...

... not a Mountain. Please change this to be a "Canyon" page.

kamran

kamran - Aug 27, 2010 1:37 am - Hasn't voted

Re: This is a canyon...

Thanks for your comment. I will fix it.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.