Hatch Canyon via Point 4706

Hatch Canyon via Point 4706

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hatch Canyon is a nice and isolated canyon system that drains into the Dirty Devil River. The canyon is seldom visited and there are many places to explore. Sections of the canyon are deep and wide and other sections are narrow and sinuous.

From east of Point 4706, you can scramble down into the canyon system and expore from there. This is a class 3 route and steep.

Hatch CanyonHiking in Hatch Canyon.

Getting There

From Hanksville, drive south on Highway 95 to very near mile marker 17. Turn left on the Poison Springs Road.

The Poison Springs Road is sometimes rough and sometimes fairly smooth; it depends on how recently it has been bladed. More often than not, it requires 4wd. Drive the sometimes rough road 15 miles to the Dirty Devil River. You park here, but if you have a really good 4wd, you can get closer to the canyon.

With a good 4wd, cross the Dirty Devil River and follow the road on the other side. This rough road will take you around (use a map!) Point 4706 on the topo map. Park just east of the point.

Hatch CanyonHiking in Hatch Canyon.

Route Description

Walk or drive to the trailhead from Poison Springs Canyon. From the trailhead look for the largest drainage east of Point 4706. Look for a route into the drainage and follow it down. This involves much route finding and scrambling and climbing over boulders and there are many alternate routes available. Eventually the drainage spills over a huge cliff. Turn right here and notice the exposed ledge used by bighorn sheep. There is a good bighorn trail along the ledge. Follow the ledge until you can scramble steeply into Hatch Canyon. The route has a few class 3 moves.

From the bottom of the canyon you can explore up or down canyon. Going up canyon, there are several sections of the canyon with short narrow sections in shallow white rock and several sections with big red towering walls.

Going down canyon there are several interesting towers and high walls. Grandmas Teapot, a huge tower and arch is the highlight of the hike. Going down canyon you will eventually reach the confluence of Fiddler Cove Canyon (well worth exploring in itself). Not far down canyon is the Dirty Devil River.

Two days is recommended to explore Hatch Canyon using this route. Three days is recommended if exploring Hatch and Fiddler Cove Canyons on the same trip. There is water and campsites between when the route first reaches the floor of Hatch Canyon and downcanyon to Grandmas Teapot. In the cools season there is water available. The Dirty Devil River always has water as well and could be used if the water in Hatch Canyon dries up, but bring lots of drink mix since it taste pretty nasty.

TraverseThis is the ledge mentioned in the route description.

Essential Gear

A good pair of boots and a good topo map is needed.

ScramblingBring a good pair of boots for off-trail hiking.


Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.