High Valley access

Overview


South access via Smith-Cripe Road: Turn north on Smith-Cripe road at MP 29.9 on State Route 14.

>>>Proceed 1.5 miles to the end of the pavement and park in the paved turn-around area. (A gated one-lane gravel road continues past the gate but vehicular traffic is not allowed past this point.)

>>>Hike up the gravel road for about 700 feet past the gate to a Y in the road (There is a metal sign at the "y" with a road number on it.) and head due east on a faint ATV/4WD. After crossing the meadow the track bears to the left and starts to drop down the hill.

>>>About a third of a mile down the hill, keep your eye peeled for a faint junction on the left heading down to the creek.

>>>Switchback down and cross the creek on the logs and follow the trail up the hill.

>>>About 1/2 mile (from the creek crossing) you come to a junction where you can either continue straight ahead on the ancient overgrown logging road/trail or take a sharp left hand switchback and head directly up the west side trail. This route is faint, but obvious, leading to a challenging boot path up the ridge and across a hanging valley eventually arriving at the SW Archer Mountain viewpoint. Continuing on this trail past the viewpoint junction will lead you on a clockwise path that will bring you back to the left hand switchback junction mentioned above and a return to the trailhead.

>>>If you chose to go straight ahead at the switchback junction, the trail will soon emerge onto a gas line access road.

>>>Follow this road for ΒΌ mile and just before the road starts downhill again, find a faint trail leading off to the NE and across a large talus field. There is some flagging here, but scant and hard to spot. Follow the upright sticks in a line across the talus and find the continuation of the trail on the other side. The trail is hard to follow for a ways but gets much better as it switchbacks up the hill. It will eventually take you to a junction of a side trail that leads to the SE Archer Mountain viewpoint. (The true summit of Archer Mountain is a short distance up the faint trail to the north of this junction.) There has been a rockslide this past winter wiping out a short section of this trail and one of the switchbacks. (Note the car-sized boulder uphill of the switchback being held in place by a maple tree!)

Note: All of the trails in this area are "user maintained" and often hard to follow - especially after a storm with blowdown or in the snow. Your best bet is to find someone familiar with the area and get together - at least for your first trip to this incredible mountain!

Getting There

Add Getting There text here.

Route Description

Add Route Description text here.

Essential Gear

Add Essential Gear text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.