Hikers Route to Elephant Head

Hikers Route to Elephant Head

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 31.72400°N / 110.938°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike, Scramble
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: 3rd class, some bushwacking
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


(Taken from Backcountry Climbing in Southern Arizona, By Bob Kerry)

Besides the technical routes up the Elephant it is also possible to hike to the saddle and then do a third-class scramble to the top. For this go right on Mt. Hopkins Road off Elephant Head Road 1.5 miles from the frontage road. Go 5.5 miles and take the left turn onto adirt road with a sign for Agua Caliente Canyon. In 2.4 miles the is a big parking area on the right just before a sign that says "Dead End 2 miles." Across the road from the parking area is a USFS bike trail.

Route Description


(Bob Kerry)--Take this and when you get to a dirt road (Quantrell Mine Road) go right. You will pass an old mine and then go uphill a couple of times untill you get a good view of Elephant Head. There is a route cairned down into the canyon where the road heads back right or east to the Quantrell mine. This is a more direct route, but the hikers usually go to the mine and bushwack from there. From the saddle of Elephant Head it is an easy scramble to the top. (Easy, but if your hiker friend is afraid of heights this is not going to be any fun for him or her.) Great views. The approach is fine for regular cars.

Essential Gear


Water, food, snakebite kit, water, and something to protect your shins, oh... and water!

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.