Hiking behind the Iron Curtain

Hiking behind the Iron Curtain

Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Hiking, Scenery
Gate Tower of Retezat
Gate Tower of the Retezat, South Carpathians, Romania

These pics of mine were taken in 1977-81 on transparency film (see the note at my Spitsbergen album)

It wasn't until the 1990s that the average citizen of Poland was allowed to see the West of Europe, or other continents. Even the then Yugoslavia, its communist leaders not on good terms with the Kremlin, was barely within reach. So when I was at university, I would board a train bound south-east and spend much of the summer – actually August since July tends to be very rainy – trekking in the mountains of Romania and Bulgaria. And I loved it.

Granite Pirin's Kamenitsa
Kamenitsa, Pirin, Bulgaria


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-3 of 3
yatsek

yatsek - Dec 14, 2008 4:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Sounds and Letters

According to this source, "Romanian has undergone several spelling reforms, the most recent in 1993 reversing changes introduced in 1949, as a result of which the î/â sound is usually represented by â, except at the beginning and end of words where î is retained. The earlier usage is still common however."

visentin

visentin - Dec 21, 2008 9:53 am - Voted 6/10

nice

Although they are a bit less let'say "adventurous", I recommend you the Pyrenees, Yatsek ! I read the landscape & atmosphere in granitic Bulgarian mountains for example is very similar to granitic places in Pyrenees. As for limestone parts, there are many places similar to Piatra Craiuli, dixit what a romanian fellow told me.

yatsek

yatsek - Dec 21, 2008 10:46 am - Hasn't voted

Re: nice

I guess you wanted to say "more adventurous":) Pic du Midi d'Ossau is like Kamenitsa squared. One of my problems is my back will refuse to heave more than just one third of what I used to carry in the pack. Surely it's all much lighter now but still comes down to at least 13 kilos, for a few days' trek. Still I'll be thinking of the Pyrennees (the huts might help a bit:)) and would've definitely gone in those old days, had the ruling party allowed us to without asking any favour, and had we not earned $20 per month then.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3