Page Type Page Type: Album
Additional Information Image Type(s): Rock Climbing, Ice Climbing, Alpine Climbing, Bouldering, Aid Climbing, Hiking, Skiing, Wildlife, Flora, Topo/Diagram, Informational, Scenery, Panorama, Humor, Water

Photos of the Himalayas

A great central location to enjoy the great photos SP members have taken on journeys to the Himalayas. Feel free to post photos from your adventures or attach other photos from mountains and scenery from the Himalayas.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-9 of 9
BigLee

BigLee - Feb 2, 2007 4:37 pm - Voted 1/10

Nice Photos but...

...the Karakoram is not part of the Himalayas for which you have photos of in this collection. It runs parallel to the north of the Himalaya and at no point touches the Himalaya. It's a totally separate range (although formed around the same time and was also due to the Eurasian and India land masses colliding).

redsplashman23

redsplashman23 - Feb 2, 2007 5:31 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Photos but...

Yeah, I know, I am just being general and not completely technical. Both ranges are close and have a lot of the high peaks of the world and I created the album to have a central place for photos of the high peaks like Everest, K2, and more.

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Feb 8, 2007 10:31 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice Photos but...

Actually, the word 'Himalayas' is used also to refer to the whole massive mountain system which includes not just the the Himalaya proper, but also the Karakoram and the Hindu Kush.

The Himalayan mountain system comprises three parallel ranges. The northernmost range is called the Great Himalayas and contains three of the world's highest peaks: Mount Everest, K2 and Kangchenjunga.

BigLee

BigLee - Feb 9, 2007 8:37 am - Voted 1/10

Re: Nice Photos but...

Some people call the Karakoram part of the Himalaya but it's a generalised term used by ill-informed Westerners that's incorrect. All geographers recognise this as a separate range. If you are going to call the Karakoram part of the Himalaya then you would have to call the Pamir part of the Himalaya as well since the Pamir is continous with the Karakoram and Hindukush to the NW and also formed from the Indian-Eurasian land masses colliding.

Anya Jingle

Anya Jingle - Feb 9, 2007 6:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice Photos but...

Basically in Europe these ranges have always been referred to as the separate ones. I have noticed that in America the term Himalayas is often used to refer to a broader region ( which includes the Pamir range too) not just by some people, but also by the encyclopedias even though they admit that technically Karakoram is a separate range.

Damien Gildea

Damien Gildea - Mar 4, 2007 12:55 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Photos but...

- Americans do that because they're wrong.
- The Himalaya and Karakoram are separate ranges.
- And it's Himalaya - not 'Himalayas'. There is only one.
- Himalaya means 'abode of snow' and was never meant to be plural. It's a particular Sanskrit word for a particular place.

D

Corax

Corax - Jul 23, 2007 9:26 am - Voted 1/10

Re: Nice Photos but...

A nice album, with lots of great photos, but I was very surprised to see the peaks of The Karakoram in it. I have to agree with what's said by Damien and Lee. To include these peaks is just too incorrect. The name of the album is misleading and to keep the album as it is isn't a good idea. It creates confusion and old errors and misunderstandings continue to live on.
Sorry. Can't vote high on this one.
When the Karakoram photos are gone, or the album is re-named to something more suitable I'll raise the vote.

Corax

Corax - Aug 19, 2007 3:32 am - Voted 1/10

NOT in The Himalaya!

At least I think all people on earth agree Mt Timpanogos is NOT located in The Himalaya.

The album is a joke.
Please disattach my Karakoram photos from it.

BigLee

BigLee - Sep 1, 2007 9:17 am - Voted 1/10

Re: NOT in The Himalaya!

You also have a picture of Lone Pine Peak in the album!



Viewing: 1-9 of 9