Hinton and Grande Cache Ice Climbs

Hinton and Grande Cache Ice Climbs

Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 53.72272°N / 118.45459°W
Activities Activities: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This area comprises the eastern slopes of the Canadian Rockies along Jasper National Park and Willmore Wilderness Area.
Approach to Ingredient 16 - Near JasperIngredient 16 From the Approach - Brule
In addition to Hinton and Grande Cache the area includes the villages of Brule and Cadomin as well.

The weather is typical of the Eastern Slopes in Alberta with often high winds and moderate temperatures. Climbs with a lot of sun can deteriorate rapidly during chinooks so plan your objectives accordingly. With generally lower snow fall, the climbing is usually accessible in boots and gators.

Upper Pitches of Knuckle Gnasher - Grande CacheThe Spectacular Upper Pitches of Knuckle Gnasher - Grande Cache
The climbing in this area is truly excellent with climbs ranging from grade 2-5 of varying length. If this area was closer to a major centre it would certainly see more traffic, but for now you are likely going to be alone on these climbs. In the 5 years that I have climbed in this area, we shared a climb with another party once.



Getting There

Hinton is 290 km west of Edmonton on Hwy 16. It is 80 km northeast of the Jasper townsite, also along Hwy 16.

Grande Cache is 140 km northwest of Hinton on Hwy 40 North.

The village of Brule is 26 km West of Hinton. You follow Hwy 40 North across the Athabasca River and turn left at the top of the hill. This road will take you to Brule.

The village of Cadomin is 55 km Southeast of Hinton on Hwy 40 South.

Cadomin Curtain - CadominThe Short but Challenging Cadomin Curtain.
Jesus Murphy - BruleThe Beautiful Start to Jesus Murphy
.
Google Map of Hinton and Grande Cache Area

Red Tape

Climbing in this area is generally hassle free. The one possible exception is the Whitehorse Creek Seep in Cadomin. Recent developments of a mining haul road basically rerouted the seep and effectively eliminated this amazing climb. Local efforts have been onging to engage the mine to reestablish the flow of water to the top of the cliff but progress has been slow.

There was an access restriction for ice climbers that has now been removed but it is unclear what ice will form at this time. There may be some requirement to notify the mine (likely in a logbook) that you are climbing, but this has yet to be confirmed.
Amphitheatre of Ice Atop Evergreen Gully - Grande CacheThe Amazing Amphitheatre of Ice Atop Evergreen Gully - Grande Cache

External Links

Drambuie Demon - HintonThe Wide Expanse of Ice Atop Drambuie Demon - Hinton
Upper Pitch of Drambuie Demon - Near JasperAnother Grade 4 Pitch Atop Drambuie Demon - Hinton

There are two great websites for ice conditions in the Canadian Rockies:

Gravsports-Ice

and

Live The Vision - Ice Conditions.

Camping

Camping is plentiful. West Fraser Mills Ltd. manages several campsites in the area. There are also private and public campgrounds available.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
AJones

AJones - Dec 13, 2007 8:30 pm - Voted 10/10

It's called

"est Fraser Mills Ltd.", not "West Fraser Wood & Pulp"

GCutforth

GCutforth - Dec 13, 2007 9:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: It's called

Too hard to keep track...

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.