Hochfeilerhuette is located in South Tyrol, Italy. It was built at the end of the Gliderbach-valley a sub-valley of the Pfitscher-valley. The hut stands between Weisskarferner and Gliderferner at the rocky South-West-ridge of Hochfeiler / Gran Pilastro, the highest mountain of the Zillertal-Alps. The hut is surrounded by mountains like Weissspitze, Hochferner, Hochfeiler, Hoher Weisszint, Niederer Weisszint, Hochwart and Roeteck. Main destination is Hochfeiler (3.510m), because it is one of the highest hiking-mountains in the Alps. This normal route is very easy and reveals no problems of orientation. It is also a stopover for a trekking from Brennersee to Sterzingerhuette and Burgum. This trekking includes a ascent to Hochfeiler, too.
From Austria: Starting in Innsbruck, you have to drive over the Brenner (highway ~8 Euro one way!) to Italy. Continue on italian highway A22 and leave it at exit "Sterzing / Vipiteno". Follow the signs to Pfitscher-valley or St. Jakob/San Giacomo. At St. Jakob/San Giacomo follow the road up to Stein, the last village in the Pfitscher-valley. After Stein follow the little dirty road to Pfitscherjoch/Rifugio Passo di Vizze. At the third switchback are some parkings. Maybe you have to park your car in Stein.
From Verona/Bozen/Brixen follow the italian highway A22 towards Brenner. Leave the highway at exit "Sterzing / Vipiteno". Follow the way like described above.
Access to the hut:
From the third switchback follow the track into the forest. After some minutes you reach a junction. Left to Hochfernerbiwak/G.Messner-Biwak and right to Hochfeilerhuette. The track is well prepared. First you have to ascend steeply to the rotten Unterberghuetten. After these old huts you hike with less elevation gain to Hochfeilerhuette (2.710m). The access takes round about 3 hours.
Informations about the hut:
- Height: 2.710m
- Phone: 0472/646071
- Fax: 0472/767402
- Renter: Familie Mittermair - Weg in die Vill 16 - 39049 Sterzing
- Email: email@example.com
- Beds: 90
- Winter-room: 6 beds
- Hut opened: Mid June to begin of October
- Internet: www.hochfeilerhuette.it
Trips around Hochfeilerhuette:
- Hochfeiler (3.510m): SW-ridge 2,5 - 3 hours
- Hochferner (3.463m): Via Weisskarferner 3 - 3,5 hours
- Hoher Weisszint (3.371m): Via Gliderferner and Obere Weisszintscharte 3 hours
Transit to other huts:
- Edelrauthuette (2.545m): Via Untere Weisszintscharte 2,5 - 3 hours
- Brixnerhuette (2.307m): Via Gliderscharte 6 - 9 hours
Maps and books:
- Kompass WK 37 Zillertaler Alpen-Tuxer Alpen - 1:50.000 - ISBN: 3-85491-042-8
History of Hochfeilerhuette:
- In 1880, Hochfeilerhuette was built at an elevation of 3400m. The hut was rotten up to the year 1900.
- In 1881, the austrian alpine club had built the Wienerhuette between Weißkarferner and Gliderferner
- After WWI the hut was owned by the Club Alpino Italiano.
- In the 1950s the italian army occupied the hut due to the South-Tyrol-crisis.
- In 1967 the hut was destroyed due to a avalanche or a detonation.
- After 10 years without a hut the mountaineers got the new Hochfeilerhuette in 1977.