Hogback from the Little Hogback Overlook

Hogback from the Little Hogback Overlook

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 38.76210°N / 78.2739°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Jun 1, 2004
One day in June of 2003, my friend and I ventured out to Shenandoah National Park. We did some rock climbing, climbed Mount Marshall, and then tackled a peak I hadn't gotten a chance to do before. The mountain was Hogback Mountain, and it was accessible from right past milepost 20 off of Skyline Drive, at the Little Hogback Overlook. The overlook has a map of the entire Appalachian trail from Georgia to Maine. That provided no help for this hike, but it was still interesting. The trail runs behind and below the brick wall behind the overlook. It drops down 50 feet or so, and then goes back up in a hurry. The hike is steep, short, and fun. About a mile in you reach the Hogback summit. The summit is just a house, a radio tower, and some high voltage warnings. A dirt road comes out from a direction perpendicular to the Appalachian Trail. We hiked down 100 feet, in a distance of about 1/4 from the summit and ended up at an overlook at milepost 21 off of Skyline Drive. The elevation there is 3385'. We then went to the brick wall on the side of Skyline Drive and walked it back to my car parked at Little Hogback Overlook about a mile away. That amounted to a two mile loop hike, with a lot better views then were at the summit.

Hogback Mountain  photo_id=87643



Comments

No comments posted yet.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Hogback MountainTrip Reports